Buying up last years scents.

Demoderby4

RE: Buying up last years scents.

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:01 pm

I have been an avid user of "urine" based lures in the past but i have had minimal results with em, only in 2007 did a deer come to my scent wick/bomb when i was on stand (a single doe) and the lack of sightings from the previous years and after that day has made me question the legitimacy of the whole "urine lure" craze.

I'm not saying any of this to belittle you or tell you not to use lol, if it works for you than great! Keep using it, its just not for me, but in the gander mountain that i frequent they keep some of em on the shelves, but they have a smaller freezer stocked full of doe and buck urine you can buy and its 60% off. I would say its fine where you keep it but if you worry about things as chronically as i do lol, i would freeze it if i had some just to be safe.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:52 pm

This is one of the reasons I have goats....fresh urine....and buck rags....but it gets me to wonder...if a person lives near a dairy farm if cow urine would work? and whats to say some of the stuff on the market isn't cow urine? That would explain why they can sell so much of the stuff...or it could be some guys drinking beer in a garage some place just whizzing in little brown bottles....lol[;)]

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:58 am

I'm not drinking their kool aid as some people would say[:D] but....

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you shoot a doe that is in estrous you cant take a syringe and drain her bladder and have doe in heat. The urine has to be passed through the sex organs in order to have the estrous scent.

I think the more well known companies are collecting and selling what they say they are.

I've had luck with scents in the past, I've had bucks trail a estrous scent trail right to the rag in the tree. Why? I don't know, are they curious or sexually attracted to it,  I don't know but it's another tool that can help in certain situations and I'll buy that.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Do some basic math on this people. Let's make a guess.....

How many bottles of what's claimed to be "doe-in-heat" urine is sold every year, off the shelves of sporting good stores and through the mail?

Let's take Tink's for example (I'm NOT singling them out, and I make NO claim that what they sell is not in fact real deer urine, and I have no reason to suspect that they do). An average size bottle of their deer urine is 4 oz. That'd be 32 bottles to a gallon. That's just one brand. My local Gander Mt. must have at least a dozen different brands and type on their shelves at any given time. Let's say they purchase 100 bottles of each type.

That's 100 X 12 (various types)= 1200 bottles X 4oz. = 4800 oz.

4800 oz. divided by 128 (oz/gallon)=37.5 GALLONS of deer urine per store per year.

Gander Mt. has ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN STORES!

That's 4,387.5 GALLONS of deer urine, or 140,400 4.oz BOTTLES.......JUST FOR ONE STORE CHAIN!!!!

If you assume that Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas have a similar number of stores, then that's 13,162.5 GALLONS of deer urine, or 421,200 bottles per year, and don't forget, this DOESN'T include all the smaller chains (Dicks, Farm & Fleet, etc.) and Ma 'n Pa stores and archery shops!

I think it'd be on the conservative side to say that we're talking a grand total of 20,000 GALLONS, or 640,000 BOTTLES of deer urine sold per year.

Now......an average sized doe deer will produce enough urine while she is in heat to make 54 TWO oz.  doe-in-heat bottles PER YEAR.

If we go by our 4 oz. quantity that's be only TWENTY SEVEN BOTTLES OF DOE-IN-HEAT URINE PER YEAR, PER DEER.

That means that if all this is truely doe deer-in-heat urine then there has to be AT LEAST 23,704 captive does that urine is being collected from!

Bottom line is, I think these numbers are LOW, but even figuring it this way, that's still A LOT of deer!

Just food for thought folks. I'd like to know what you all think too.

BTW: My source for some of this is from here:

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/hendricks/deer_urine_industry.html

Good article!

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:04 pm

I wont argue your math or info but as I stated earlier their are companies out there that seem legit and i have no reason to say they aren't.
To throw a blanket over them all and say it isn't possible is wrong IMO.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:32 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

I wont argue your math or info but as I stated earlier their are companies out there that seem legit and i have no reason to say they aren't.
To throw a blanket over them all and say it isn't possible is wrong IMO.

I never said or implied that they all were, Goose. I even stated that in my disclaimer about Tink's.

My points are this:

1. Even basic math shows that it's VERY unlikely that there are enough captive DOES.....don't count all deer.....to produce the constant flow of doe-in-heat urine that is marketed out there in a given year. Have you ever noticed that there's never a shortage of it? Even Egg-Nog can't be found on the store shelves in the summer!

2. The urine scent industry is unregulated, so there are no standards by which to measure what exactly "doe-in-heat" urine actually IS. There are also no standards for it's collection, storage, or purity. In fact, there's actually no way to even know if the urine you are buying is even from a doe DEER!  Female rabbits are also called "does", for example.

3. I'm sure that there ARE many reputable marketers of these products. The problem is that it's a mathematical impossibility that they ALL are, so how do you know who's on the up and up, other than "buyer beware" or gut instinct?

Just something to think about before you fork over your $$$$$.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:42 pm

But to get back to the original point of this thread, IMO it doesn't make any difference if it's this years urine, or last years urine, because by the time we consumers get it it's already chemically broken down to urea.

Besides, if you think about it, it's not the urine itself that we are buying it for, but the PHERMONES that are (or maybe in fact aren't) in it.

On that line of thought, here's an idea that will make someone rich........If one could chemically isolate the phermones that we are buying the urine for, and market that in a usable form, then we could dispense with soaking ourselves and the woods we hunt in with what's basically racid ammonia in the first place! And the beauty of it, is that it wouldn't even have to be phermones from a female DEER! 

Do you see where I'm going with this? Ladies, are you paying attention? [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:33 pm

i remember a cartoon ,wish i could find it it was a picture of a tanker truck with "doe  urine" on it 2 hunters saying "you know deer season is getting ready to start"
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:51 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

i remember a cartoon ,wish i could find it it was a picture of a tanker truck with "doe  urine" on it 2 hunters saying "you know deer season is getting ready to start"

LOL! Based on the above numbers, that tanker truck just came from a doe that would have to weigh 3,200,000 pounds and be 53,000 feet tall at the withers to produce that much doe-in-heat urine!!!  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:05 am

So what you guy's are saying is that in your opinion you find it impossible for the so called manufacturers to produce that much urine?
So basically your saying from behind a bush that you think doe in heat lure along with some others is just a marketing ploy and the companies are ripping you off?

Just come out and say it!

The scent that I use has worked, why I don't know the deer could just be curious but its brought bucks within easy range and thats all that matters to me. I personally have had luck with scents.
Jake

PreviousNext

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators