Buying up last years scents.

Demoderby4

RE: Buying up last years scents.

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:24 am

Im not trying to disclaim anything or accuse the companies of anything, but they personally haven't ever really worked for me, so i see no reason to spend 25 bucks a year or so on "urine" that has failed to produce for 6+ years, that's all.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:37 am

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

Im not trying to disclaim anything or accuse the companies of anything, but they personally haven't ever really worked for me, so i see no reason to spend 25 bucks a year or so on "urine" that has failed to produce for 6+ years, that's all.

This has also been my experience, but in my case I used the stuff for a decade or more with no tangible results, and I've used them ALL......Code Blue, Still Steamin', etc.  99% of the time they'd IGNORE it, and on one occasion (which happened to be the last time I ever used any) it actually spooked two bucks away from it in the course of a morning's hunt. That's when I took all the bottles, dispensers, cotton balls and other scent accessories and tossed them into the first roadside barrel I found on the drive home. That's also when I started using my own urine in scrapes, and it's worked just as well.

I know that others claim great success with it, and I don't doubt that. But I also know MANY others who's experiences have been like mine.

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:45 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

So what you guy's are saying is that in your opinion you find it impossible for the so called manufacturers to produce that much urine?
So basically your saying from behind a bush that you think doe in heat lure along with some others is just a marketing ploy and the companies are ripping you off?

Just come out and say it!

The scent that I use has worked, why I don't know the deer could just be curious but its brought bucks within easy range and thats all that matters to me. I personally have had luck with scents.

I thought I did say it Goose. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that with  all the doe-in-heat urine that is supplied to the market place YEAR AROUND, that ALL of it is what it's claimed to be.

With no regulation in the industry, how can ANYONE really know if all of it is genuine?

I don't doubt for a nano-second that it's worked for you. But I also know many others who've NEVER had a deer even notice it in the slightest, and that's a lot of $$ to be paying, not to mention carrying enough extra scent dispersal/handling equipment with you in the field that rivals an EMT unit.

I wish you well with it, but all I'm saying here is that for me, I have some serious questions about the industry as whole for the reasons I've stated.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:48 pm

I saw, at Gander Mountain, a urine extraction kit.  The kit contained a large syringe with about 18" of a small diameter tube.  I get the jist of how to use it, but I have some questions:
                                  1. Has anyone else used it?
                                  2. How easy was it to use?
                                  3. How long will the urine keep for after extraction?
                                  4. Will freezing help preserve it and will it be usable once thawed again?
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:57 am

I haven't used one of those but I'm sure it would work for a natural urine scent.
Everytime out I spray natural (non-estrous) doe urine on my boots,
For me this really seems to help with my walking in trail, deer don't seem to be bothered by my scent as much. I even have deer follow my trail in to my tree.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:56 am

Alot of great comments on both sides here.

Just so I understand what some of you guys are saying:

1. Is urea when urine is exposed to air and then begins to breakdown?
2. Is urea basically ammonia?
3. Does the estrus (which is really what we are after) breaks down as soon as it is exposed to air?
4. If you extract urine from a fresh killed doe, even in estrus, it will not contain estrus cause it has not passed through reproductive area?

I have not had a chance to buy anything, but after rereading this thread I am rethinking parting with my hard earned cash.

Come to think of it all three deer (2 does and a button) I took this year had nothing to do with scents. In fact the two bucks I had opps on had nothing to do with scents. Lord knows I tried using scents in every way, but just have not had the type of success.

Appreciate all the input on both sides.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:35 pm

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

1. Is urea when urine is exposed to air and then begins to breakdown? YES. If it's brown/amber in color, then it's urea.
2. Is urea basically ammonia?  YES
3. Does the estrus (which is really what we are after) breaks down as soon as it is exposed to air?  NO. But the point here is that I challenge the assumption that all that "doe-in-heat" urine...with the phermones in it...is actually that, based on what I said in my posts. This is also why some have success with it, and some don't....luck of the draw.
4. If you extract urine from a fresh killed doe, even in estrus, it will not contain estrus cause it has not passed through reproductive area? You know, I never considered this until Goose brought it up. I believe he's correct, it won't.

I have not had a chance to buy anything, but after rereading this thread I am rethinking parting with my hard earned cash.

Come to think of it all three deer (2 does and a button) I took this year had nothing to do with scents. In fact the two bucks I had opps on had nothing to do with scents. Lord knows I tried using scents in every way, but just have not had the type of success.

Floating Debris

Postby Floating Debris » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:20 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

1. Is urea when urine is exposed to air and then begins to breakdown? YES. If it's brown/amber in color, then it's urea.
2. Is urea basically ammonia?  YES
3. Does the estrus (which is really what we are after) breaks down as soon as it is exposed to air?  NO. But the point here is that I challenge the assumption that all that "doe-in-heat" urine...with the phermones in it...is actually that, based on what I said in my posts. This is also why some have success with it, and some don't....luck of the draw.
4. If you extract urine from a fresh killed doe, even in estrus, it will not contain estrus cause it has not passed through reproductive area? You know, I never considered this until Goose brought it up. I believe he's correct, it won't.

First off, great read.  Felt I should resurrect it.

I only take issue with point 4.  Hormones do not enter urine by passing through reproductive areas.  Urine is created  by the filtering of blood by the kidneys.  In humans, the kidneys filter out waste, drugs, impurities  and HORMONES from the blood and these are excreted as urine.

Deer kidneys do the same thing.  The hormones and pheremones in deer urine are produced by either the gonads or the pituitary gland, dumped into the blood, and filtered from the blood in the kidneys and released in the urine.  The reporductive organs don't "taint" the urine with the scent.

I have to take a whiz.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:16 am

Well having read these conversations several times now I've come to a possible to solution to our unlimited supply of fresh urine. In the medical industry and other industries they are constantly creating synthetics that simulate the actually products that occur in nature so I honestly believe these big companies probably have the ability to synthetically re-create doe and buck urine smell based on the original product. Some I believe have done a better job than others. I'll buy the 1 cheap brand and 1 expensive brand and compare the two and there is a noticeable difference, the expensive brand does smell stronger and more like urine.

Honestly though I haven't had much luck with the liquid deer urines. Last year was probably the last year I buy a liquid version. If you think about it you could have limited success with it in a scrape but to hang it on some cloth and expect the breeze to carry the scent to a deer's noise is probably difficult at best considering all the other scents you have to compete with in the woods.

My next venture with scents this year is going to be with the aerosol scents. They are in an air tight container and seem to smell pretty real as compared to the liquid scents. I decided to pursue this method of scent dispersal for the simple fact when you spray an aerosol such as air fresheners they travel throughout the whole house without much breeze to carry them. In the woods I imagine the breeze could carry the aerosol scent quite a bit farther than a liquid scent. I was also fortunate to win a product called the Buckmister The Buckmister from Oldfaithful Outdoors. This is a unit that automatically disperses scent from the Buck Bomb line of scents so I figure why not give it a try and see what happens. The Buckmister is programmable so you can have your scent spray out in aerosol form every 15, 20, 30, minutes or at whatever time intervals or hours of the day you want. You can also program it to only spray on the days you'll be hunting.

I think the chance of a deer smelling an aerosol scent are going to be better than with liquids but will it be effective? I'll give you that answer at the end of this season unless of course I get some confirmed results before then.

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:17 am

Great topic. I often wondered how there could be mass quantities of doe/buck urine. Doesn't seem realistic. My wife thinks it is a scam and says you cannot really believe it is deer urine. I am skeptical about it, but not as much as she is. My experience using it has given me mixed results. I use doe pee (not estrus pee - I'll tell you why in a moment) mainly as a cover scent on the bottom of my shoes as I head to the tree stand. Once I am in the stand, tethered and settled in, I spray it in the air over my head and let the mist cover me and the area I am in (gross yes, but I believe it's a good cover to eliminate any odors I may have brought with me). I have had deer come in, sniff the air, follow my foot tracks, etc. so at the very least they are curious of the scent it leaves and not afraid of it. On the other hand, I mentioned 'not estrus pee', that is because the last time I used it (I won't tell you which brand it was unless you really want to know) I had a 10 point buck come in, right down a tree line trail that they always come down and once he got into the area where the trail opens up and gets closer to my stand, his nose went in the air, he sniffed and IMMEDIATELY turned tail and headed right back where he came from. I was covered pretty well, had scent lock clothing etc., same as always. The ONLY difference this time was I tried the Doe Pee with Estrus. All I can think is that the buck got a whiff, did not like it and took off. It may be an isolated incident, but I am not taking a chance like that again. He was 25 yards away, but not in a good shooting lane. It killed me that it took off. It was the second biggest deer I saw on that property (I am after him this year).

Another experience I had was using the same brand doe pee (but without estrus) as mentioned above. I was with 3 other guys, we were hunting during muzzleloader week and shooting hunting videos. We all sprayed our boots with the urine. Two of us went to one stand and the other two kept walking south of us down a hay field about 400 yards where we had rolled hay bails set up as a blind. They sat behind the blind. We could see them (orange blaze) from our stand. About an hour later, a cocky young buck walked out from the woods, and it was obvious he immediatley picked up the scent on the ground from our boots. He perked up like it was his lucky day [;)]. He used our exact path (in the hay field) and followed it right under our stand. He then walked back and picked up the scent an followed it directly down the hayfield RIGHT TO the rolled hay bail blind where the other two were sitting. It was hilarious!  He was within 5 yards of them and had not clue a human was there. So to an extent, I am a believer that the urine (or urea) does not spook the deer, but rather peaks their interest.

PreviousNext

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators