Southern Texas Hog hunting

wack

Southern Texas Hog hunting

Postby wack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:55 pm

I live in Wisconsin and right now it's -5 degrees. Brother in law lives in Houston and the wife wants to go down to see him. I'd love to try to take a hog while down there, but we'll be on a shoe string budget. Brother in law doesn't hunt. Any advise or info on hog hunting public land near Houston? 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

DoeEyed

RE: Southern Texas Hog hunting

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:02 pm

No, but I wish I had some family in a warmer climate so I could go visit![:)]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wack

Postby wack » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 am

I'll tell you what, DoeEyed, you can visit with my brother in law, just drop me off somewhere I can go hunting before you get there. 

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:31 pm

LOL[:D] Good luck with the hog hunting! Maybe you could contact the Texas DNR and they will send info?
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:52 am

Wack,

Yup, it is a cold one here in Indiana, but we are visiting friends this July in San Antonio. I have been kicking around the same idea and found this site as it is 75 miles east of San Antonio and within an easy drive of where we will be. This is about the most reasonable prices I have found and they offer a variety of hunts. I was looking at the single day one hog hunt for 190.00

Hope this helps and stay warm!

http://wildhoghunttexas.com/linksb.htm

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

wack

Postby wack » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:59 am

Buck5nort, it's a small world. I also had found that site, sounds like hunting in a zoo. I wish them luck with there hog problem. I was hoping for a do it yourself type hunt, cheap. There must be some public or private place that needs hog hunters since they are so destructive.  I did send an email to the TX DNR but no answer yet. Do you have to have a guide to hunt hogs in TX? If so, I might as well go track some in the snow in Southern Wisconsin and send the wife to Texas. lol

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Guys, to tell you the honest truth, there are enough dang hogs running around this state that people shouldnt be charging you to hunt them but paying you to get rid of them. As far as Im concerned if they are willing to charge you to get rid of them, they arent obviously to worried about their land getting tore up and it becomes an aspect of just making money. They just needed to be taken out whenever and however without the cost because they constantly breed. We have so much damage to our land right now and they are hell to catch or even hunt. I think charging for a wild pig is crazy.
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

wack

Postby wack » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:37 am

That's what I'm looking for. A landowner that needs help getting rid of them. I'd be happy to shoot as many as I could and split the meat with the land owner. I've never field dressed , skinned or quartered a pig, but have done many deer and am willing to learn. If a land owner is desperate, I'm unemployed. I have a camper van, all the hunting equipment needed, would like to work something out. 

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:31 am

HiddenHorns,

Is hunting for hogs allowed in the state parks year round? If so what are the rules so to speak? I really don't know anyone that actually owns a ranch and/or farm. Is there a number at DNR or something that you can contact to see if they have any "can you come out here and kill a few hogs" list?

Wack,

LOL, I didn't realize that the website I sent a link to was listed on the D&DH home page. It is a google add and apparently it splashes in the forum as well.  Well shows you how much I pay attention to the web'o'mercials.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

doe assassin

Postby doe assassin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:45 am

We have great hog hunting out in lohn, but thats another 5 hr drive from houston....

Next

Return to Texas