Article "View to a Kill"

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
8uck5nort

RE: Article "View to a Kill"

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:58 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Did not read the article but it apparently addresses an age-old question of ethics as they relate to the hunter.

Nature can seem cruel by humans standards. Fair-play, fair chase, mercy, morality, these are all human conventions and wildlife has no time for any of it. No matter what our intention are to a wild creature, they will never ask for mercy should we come for them, nor show gratitude when we try and help them.

When I hunt deer with a gun or a bow I do my level best to start a job and finish a job as quickly as possible. My game, my rules.
When chasing squirrels with my redtail, she knows no mercy or fairplay, slow kill, quick kill, however it plays out is fine with her. Her game, her rules. Both animals if come upon in their wild state would be as equally confused as to our intentions if given the ability of abstract thought.

Would I help out another human hunter and clean up somone elses mess? Probably. Interfere with other predators in their natural processes? No way. Our human ethics put us on a much quicker timetable sometimes than the rest of the planet. Consider the Komodo Dragon of Indonesia. It often hamstrings small deer and tracks them for days while their toxic,enzyme and bacteria ridden saliva does its work.

Me I'll take a 4 blade muzzy any day[;)]

I read the article.

Could not have stated it any better than Squirrelhawker.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features