100 Push-ups (from Sialfish)

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

100 Push-ups (from Sialfish)

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:44 am

D&DH Pro-Staffer Sailfish submitted this link to a push-up progression program. Check it out.

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

Thanks Sailfish!

Patriot

RE: 100 Push-ups (from Sialfish)

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:49 am

This sounds interesting.  I bookmarked the page and will read it in more detail later.  I'm sure this would help for summer sports as well.

Thanks for sharing!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:49 am

This looks very good. I can't imagine a better system, or one that takes less time. Anyone should be able to mark his or her progress, and find encouragement to stick with it. Arm and shoulder conditioning are key to shooting well, whether with rifle or bow.

I've marked the page and I'll be starting Monday.

Steve

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 am

Looks good, I think I'll be starting the program tonight! 

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Last PT test I was shooting for 100 in 2 min but only hit 93. Ill read the rest of the article this weekend and start next week.

What I really need to start doing is finding the gym again next week.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:19 am

Ok.  Don't laugh.

I did my first week, first day session of the 100 push up challenge last night.

I......am.....a....wuss!  [:D]

I did the 5 sets, but had to do some sissy push ups (from my knees) towards the end.

But, hey....at least I'm doing something.  No where to go but up!!

I'm also down to 197 pounds (from 212 in the Fall).  I may post some before and after pics if I get the courage.[8D]

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:38 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Ok.  Don't laugh.

I did my first week, first day session of the 100 push up challenge last night.

I......am.....a....wuss!  [:D]

I did the 5 sets, but had to do some sissy push ups (from my knees) towards the end.

But, hey....at least I'm doing something.  No where to go but up!!

I'm also down to 197 pounds (from 212 in the Fall).  I may post some before and after pics if I get the courage.[8D]

I'm not laughing. You must have started at the same time I started. I thought I did pretty well with my test last week, and was rarin' to go. I couldn't get through the complete sets for Day 1, and even now my arms (especially my left elbow) feels like lead. Should have gone to my knees.

But... I've started. Now, to keep going. I started last evening, but I'm going to try switching to morning unless that makes my arms worthless the rest of the day.

One problem -- I tried to use the log at www.pushupslogger.com but my 'puter never got to that page last night. I got in today but it is v-e-r-y slow. Are you having any trouble with that page loading? Do you think the online log is helpful, or would just a paper log be better.

Steve

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:51 am

Looks like this link is a hit and I'm gald that you guys are into it!

I have a couple of questions, that I am a bit embarrassed I have to ask, because I have only looked it over and not read the whole link. All I see are push-ups. Is this program push-ups only? Are you encouraged to do other exrecises? Does the program provide guidance in this area?

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Looks like this link is a hit and I'm gald that you guys are into it!

I have a couple of questions, that I am a bit embarrassed I have to ask, because I have only looked it over and not read the whole link. All I see are push-ups. Is this program push-ups only? Are you encouraged to do other exrecises? Does the program provide guidance in this area?

Yes, it's push-ups only. There is a similar program at another site for sit-ups (www.twohundredsitups.com). No other exercises are encouraged, but none are discouraged either. I think the main point is to serve the needs of people who do little in the way of exercise, giving them a regular routine that is quick, measurable, productive and achievable. Push-ups can do a lot for a person, but not everything -- aerobic conditioning, for example, is not one of the benefits. The program does give guidance in how to do proper push-ups, how to accommodate for lack of strength at the beginning , and a few other things.

In my view, push-ups are an especially good exercise for hunters. They will strengthen arms and shoulders for better shooting of rifle or bow, and they will strengthen the upper body for climbing.

Hope that helps. Now, back to massaging my sore muscles.

Steve

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm keeping it simple.  Planning to just print off the weekly guidlines and physically cross off each set with a pencil when completed. 

I'm not too worried about how it impacts my body for hunting...more concerned about summer sports.

I can pull 63 pounds with no problem, but can't do 20 good push ups.....go figure.

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness