truck or suv? scent free or dry?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
danesdad

RE: truck or suv? scent free or dry?

Postby danesdad » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 pm

My stuff stays in a garbage bag in the extended cab.  I try not to leave anything in the bed.

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:16 am

Right now I drive a Dodge cargo van, needed for work, so storage and security aren't an issue.  Once the snow starts to fly, forget it, it's like driving a roller skate on an ice rink.  I store my gear in an old army wet weather bag with pine bows in it and then put that with my pack, boots, etc. in a big plastic tote.  My climber I put in a 6 mil contractor garbage bag with some pine bows.  I am looking for a jeep to use for hunting, easier on gas and access to some of my spots is why.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:41 am

since my last post, i've traded my ford f-150 for a Toyota FJ Cruiser.  I've had it in a few slick spots so far and it pulled through everything easily.  So far I love it.  Really excited for hunting season to be able to hunt out of it.  The only thing I'll miss is the bed for hauling out the deer.  However I'm going to buy a small "bed" from Cabella's or some other sporting store that hooks into the square hub on the back that the towing hitch is in right now.  Shouldn't be much of a problem as I see it.  We'll see.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:21 am

Like shaman, my clothes get stored with baking soda. I have an Expedition, to the best of my abilities I store everything I can inside bins to help with scent control. Whether it's cold or raining or Mosquitos(the worse) I get dressed outside the cab. I may not have the best scenario but it's all I have.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:19 am

I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac.  I like that fact it has a hard tonneau cover, it's great for storing a lot of stuff and keeping it dry.  My next truck will either be the 4-wheel drive Sport Trac or F-150.  In either case they'll have to come with the hard tonneau cover, I'd be lost without it.  4-wheel drive is needed to get around where I want to hunt next year.  It's the Eglin AFB WMA and most of the roads are clay and sand, tough to navigate some of them without 4-wheel drive!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:37 pm

I have a 2001 Chevy S-10 V6 that gets lousey milage . I just purchased a 2009 Subaru Forester . I plan to buy a 4' X 6' utility trailer to pull behind the Subie when I hunt . I carry my clothes in a sealed plastic tote .
Semper Fi !

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:40 am

I have a chevy half ton and store my clothes in a big zip lock bag and store my boots in another zip lock bag works great its got a big handle on the bag and they are easy to tote and you can buy them at walmart

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:31 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

I have a 2001 Chevy S-10 V6 that gets lousey milage . I just purchased a 2009 Subaru Forester . I plan to buy a 4' X 6' utility trailer to pull behind the Subie when I hunt . I carry my clothes in a sealed plastic tote .
ed your gonna love your subaru[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Jeep cherokee, keep clothes in xxl ziploc bags when going hunting.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

coach

Postby coach » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:56 pm

Nissan Xterra 2000.   Love it.   Best vehicle I've owned yet.
Plastic bin with no scent what's so ever.  I spray before putting them in....I spray taking them out.
I spray at my hunting site.  I spray during the day if I have too.

I also change my shorts every day.  Not the shorts itself....only change sides.[:D]
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Previous

Return to Best Practices