100 Push-ups (from Sialfish)

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

RE: 100 Push-ups (from Sialfish)

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Okay. I'm not here to second guess anyone's program (unless it is unsafe). ANY program that gets someone up and moving is a good one. But this appears to be a push-up progression plan and not a fitness plan per-se.

As a general rule, one should not focus on one and only one exercise. This is particularly true when that exercise moves in only one plane. You run the risk of over-taxing one set of muscles or under-developing another. Both can lead to injury.

Please do not misunderstand me. I love push-ups and do them almost daily. They are an excellent upper body exercise, they require no equipment, and the provide a measure of progress, but push-ups alone are not an adequate exercise program.  

For those who have begun following this program, I would suggest looking at http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=22014 or http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=23375 in order to get some additional ideas on things you can work in as well.

Again, I am not knocking the 100 push-up program, I am just suggesting diversity.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:23 pm

looks like everyones been working out on here.. Ill have to try this at the gym tomorrow.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:53 am

JPH suggests some good points, however, my pushup training suggestion was introduced for multiple reasons.

First and foremost it is probably the most complete compound movement you can perform for your upper body. It works(when performed properly) your chest, shoulders, tris, back, and abs.

Second, many folks need a starting point. Everyone knows about pushups. It's not too difficult to learn proper form and technique.

Third, they are easily and readily performed in just about any location.

Many folks do not have alot of time for variety in a program.

It quite easy to see and calculate gains. In addition to setting an achievable goal.

Lastly, I just wanted to make a somewhat simple suggestion to perhaps many folks who may have not performed any type of fitness routine and did not want to be too intimidated.
In the BIG picture complete fitness is indeed the perfect scenario, and with time everyone should strive for that goal.

Now I just can't wait to see these before and after pics!!!!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:24 am

JPH definitely brought up a good point about working multiple exercises. also as sailfish said, even just push ups are better than nothing and is a good starting point. patriot mentioned not having a problem drawing 63 pounds, but cant do as many push ups as he would like. push ups work the back... a little... they primarily work the chest and front shoulders. you can really squeeze the back muscles if you go slow with them, but most people do push ups too fast to get any good back work, and drawing a bow uses your back and back of your shoulders. push ups work the front, drawing a bow uses your back, so most people probably wont see a great improvement in drawing a bow from doing push ups alone. shoulder flies and bent over rows are great for that. just adding my two cents.

Previous

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness