Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
DoeEyed

RE: Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 pm

When you refletch how do you get the old glue off the shaft? And for those of you that use wraps.. what is the purpose of a wrap?
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:17 am

i use a knife edge and scotch brite to remove old glue. the wraps will make your arrow more visible. personally i tried em and dont like em, but thats just me. i prefer to actaully dip my arrows with fletch laq.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:40 am

Wraps like Howhill said help you see them better and some think that the adheres to them better. They also give the arrow a custom look.
I use 4 inch white wraps with my 2 inch blazers.

For taking the glue off I use an old carrot peeler, works great. I then use a scotch pad, then wipe it down with isopropanol. (abc?)

howhill- Ill have to try that wax on the threads trick!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:24 am

I had some wraps made for me a couple years ago . I will have to cut them down so they will fit my smaller diameter Arrow dynamics .......

Semper Fi !

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:07 am

Those are sharp! What color fletchings are ya gonna dress em with?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:16 am

Thanks howhill1 and Goose. Another question cuz I'm a "why" person. What is the isopropyl for and if you use carbon shafts is it going to dry them out?

fasteddie, those are really COOL!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:18 am

No it wont dry them out, it gives them the final cleaning or whatever you want to call it.(I have read not to use alcohol) I spray some on and then wipe em until they squeal.
Jake

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:30 am

I havent fletched mine.. My buddy's brother does tho.. Seems like it'd be a neat thing to learn.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:36 am

The wraps are also nice if you plan on re-fletching the same arrow over and over. Just peel off the old and refletch

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:40 am

I know it's been done but I have never fletched over any wrap .........
Semper Fi !

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting