Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
mag30079

RE: Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Postby mag30079 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:47 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

I know it's been done but I have never fletched over any wrap .........

Ok, so those nice looking wraps in your previous post.....did you use them?

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:07 am

I put a couple on some Black Hawk Vapor arrows . I debated on whether or not I wanted my name on an arrow that I hunt with . I just bought some new arrow shafts . If I can do a decent job cutting the wraps down , I might use them on the new arrows along with some Quik Spins (flo green / white ) .

Here is one with a FOB and a Robin Hood

Semper Fi !

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:16 pm

Just curious, you guys using blazers and saying you put a helical on them. Are you actually using a helical or an offset? It cant be much of  a helical with that short of a vane??

Thanks
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:19 pm

One bad thing about using wraps is that if you damage one fletching you have to replace them all on that arrow!
For me the benefits out weigh the draw backs but thats just me!

I'm using an offset and also put as much helical on them that they will allow.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 pm

im using a right helical clamp on my blazers, your right the length doesnt give much t work with but you can get a little.  i remember reading some where that when using the old fashioned fletch tite that comes in the the metal tube you should use alcohol to clean the shaft, but if use the super glue type fast glues use should use warm water. i began using the water instead and saw an improvement in my adhesion.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Goose - The wraps that I did put on were just below the fletching . I did that so I wouldn't have to replace 3 vanes when only one is damaged ....
Semper Fi !

halebp

Postby halebp » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:53 am

Wow... huge response since last time I posted on this thread... thanks for all the input everyone.  I've been pretty busy since my last post and havent been able to work on my arrows at all.  I'll let yall know when I get the chance to finish and shoot them.

stickslingerd

Postby stickslingerd » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:31 am

I've been fletching my arrows for almost as long as i've been shooting archery.  So i've certainly made plenty of mistakes.  i tell ya if your bow is fast and you shoot fixed blade those short vains may not fly well.  I personally love helical on my hunting arrows.  recently i bought some carbon express maxima arrows and fletched them with 3" vains, right helical.  I use right helical so the arrow spins the tip tighter not loose.  i'm getting 302 ft/second and my fixed blade broad heads fly great.  So you may just want to experiment fletching a few different way to see what produces the best result.  vains are relatively inexpensive so it's not a costly experiment.
Hunt hard, hunt often... today may be the day.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:10 pm

To get the torn fletching and glue off the shaft I use a Zip Strip Tool .

The Arrow Wraps are more for looks than anything plus they help you to spot your arrows .

Semper Fi !

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:41 pm

I love the 2" inch vanes and your arrow selection is good for hunting.  I personally use a strait jig and quick spin vanes.  It's a great combination for speed and accuracy.  R. Kirby  CEO Kirby custom arrows
One well placed arrow can save a lot of unnecessary exercise

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting