What is the biggest determining factor in staking out dominance in the buck hierarchy?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Ben Sobieck

What is the biggest determining factor in staking out dominance in the buck hierarchy?

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:12 am

Here's a question from Steve Bartylla's "Top 10 Deer Quiz" article, as seen in the March 2009 issue. Click a response above. To see the correct answer, click the link to the attachment. Subscribing to the magazine will reveal the answer, too!

Woods Walker

RE: What is the biggest determining factor in staking out dominance in the buck hierarchy?

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:13 pm

This one's a no-brainer Ben!  It's the same with livestock. On this ranch I worked on they had Black Angus bulls and Santa Gertrudus bulls on open range. The Gertrudus bulls out weighed the Angus by almost 1000 pounds, but yet every spring come calving time, the majority of the calves were black!

This is also why I have some serious questions about TBM, where they cull and propagate bucks based on rack size/shape alone. I can't help but think that this type of genetic culling is not good for the herd overall, because the more aggressive bucks who aren't "booners" are culled before they can contribute their genes, thereby creating bucks that are merely life support systems for calcium growths because they are kept "hands off" until they are deemed ready for "harvest".
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Goose

RE: What is the biggest determining factor in staking out dominance in the buck hierarchy?

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Culling has been proven to be as effective as taking a cup of water out of the ocean and saying you made a difference.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself Goose!
QDM!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 am

How did you all score on the quiz?  Thanks to all I've learned from D&DH over the years, I think I scored 8 out of 10.  Many of the questions were difficult.  I'd say I "knew" half for sure, and made educated guesses on the rest.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 am

8/10 was my score too. I did get the answer to the heirachy question correct though.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:53 am

8 out 10 myself. I guess all those years of reading the mag has paid off [:)]

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 pm

8 out of 10 for me too ;) i got the question about the percentage of does being bred their first fall wrong and another one i cant recall, i read it in a Barnes and Noble the other night lol. But i did get the temparment one right i do recall, i enjoyed the quiz, i love those kind of things! Cant say i would of faired too well if i hadn't become part of this forum i have learned so much in the 4 months i have been here.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features