Tips

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Sailfish

Tips

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:45 am

Not sure where to put this, so I started this thread for just overall general fitness tips, training tips, diet tips, etc
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sailfish

RE: Tips

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:57 am

I have been in a strength gain rut for a spell as well as an overall flatness in my personal fitness goals.

So lately I have been changing my reps up with the weights. I'm still mostly doing a pyramid approach to the reps (10,8,6,4,2,8) when I do a primary exercise (bp, squat, military press, etc), but on the associated secondary exercises I've been doing 9's.
Instead of the obligatory 8 reps, I shoot for 9. What a difference that last couple weeks with just that minor change!!
I've also started doing windsprints on the bb court during and or after weight training and the strength in my legs has improved too.

So, the tip of the day is to not be afraid to mix things up periodically to break stagnation or boredom.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:45 am

Good point! I am all about variety.

Curious, when you say that you have gotten into a "strength gain rut", what are you talking about? Do you mean that your 1 rep max is not progressing? If so, have you had any success with 5X5 or 8X3 rep/sets?

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 am

Not necessarily a single rep
Just overall strength. I should be pushing more for more reps since I have regained focus in November.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:30 am

I see. Sounds like you have found the ticket by mixing it up a little. Cool!

You may want to look at the heavy 5X5 from time to time. I also notice that you did not list the deadlift as one of your primary exercises. This too has really helped me to increase overall strength.

Just throwing out stuff. I'm always experimenting.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:20 pm

I have recently started doing 3x10's except on the last set I rep out until muscle failure. You want to talk about a pump and a burn...wow!

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:50 am

ORIGINAL: Nubs

I have recently started doing 3x10's except on the last set I rep out until muscle failure. You want to talk about a pump and a burn...wow!

As I understand it, the 3X10 is geared more for the production of mass, than it is power. The 5X5 and the 8X3 tend to be used more in the power lifting realm. Both are good, they just have different effects on the body.

Another factor that we are overlooking is the rest between sets. I would suggest that anyone doing strength training look closely at their rest periods and maintain them strictly. 

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:42 am

hmmm...hydrate before and after exercising, stretch well after a workout, give muscles time to recover, eat after a workout rather than before, control your portion sizes, vary your workouts so you don't get bored... great cardio and lower body workout -- climbing stairs
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 am

Outstanding tips doe, really nailed it.
Hopefully you left us something to add to the thread
LOL

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:47 am

I like this thread. It is a good place to put random thoughts re. fitness, etc.

If the sales pitch for a piece of equipment or program sounds too good to me true, it is. You cannot improve your body without making it uncomfortable. Adds that feature smiling, spandex clad, fitness models watching television from the seat of some silly home machine are for suckers!

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness