What tactic...#2?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

RE: What tactic...#2?

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:03 am

Well here is the rest of the story. But before I tell it, I must admit that sitting tight and waiting for the next day would be the most mature decision. However, after a week of watching those bucks at a distance, I was not very mature.

I unclipped my harness and climbed down. The wind allowed me to follow him. I skirted the field edge in a low crouch. As I rounded the bend to the west, I spotted him, following the doe. I had to pick up the pace. I hugged the trees and used the overhanging limbs to hide. He was on higher ground, which allowed me to glimpse his silhouette from time time, while remaining shielded. I caught a good look of the buck cresting the field, 60-80 yards in front of me. I looked at my watch, I had less than 15 minutes. I had to pick it up, so I broke cover and scurried up the little hill behind him.

[/align]As I reached the crest, I lowered myself and looked over. There he was! He was walking into the tall grass on the far side of the field. He would be gone in seconds. I grunted and he froze, at less than 40 yds. I rose to my feet in order to gain a better view of his vitals, took aim and squeezed.
[/align] 
[/align]A direct heart shot lead to a short but violent death run, ending in a steep gully. He was a true hog body with a field dressed weight of 210 lbs. and a tall, 142", ten point rack.
[/align] 
[/align]My stalk could have ended in failure if one deer had tried to enter the field as I snuck by. But it didn't and I got lucky.
[/align] 
[/align]

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:38 am

Very nice buck! Thats thing even though the best thing might be to sit tight, some times you have to make things happen. Its possible you might not have seen anything the last day. Good job !!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:09 pm

awesome! thats a hunt!sounds like a heck of a shot as well!
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:52 pm

[font="times new roman"]Great story JPH!  And, a very nice deer.  [/font]
[font="times new roman"]I'm sorry I didn't have the time to post before you provided the end of the story.  After reading what you said in the first part, my inclination would be to get aggressive and go after the buck as you did.  My reasoning was related to the fact that it was late in the season and that you had been seeing two other big bucks in that field.  So, even if you spooked the one you went after, you could have backed out, relocated the next morning and quite possibly had a shot at one of them. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]I guess the moral of your story as well as the one that I posted, is that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, even if it seems a bit foolish at the time.  You can't learn much by doing the same old thing; you need to take chances and possibly make some mistakes to get better at anything.  If it works out as it did for you, great.  If not, in the end you become a more proficient hunter.[/font]

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:36 pm

AWESOME BUCK JPH!!!

Sometimes it pays to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

(apologies to Ali about that...couldn't resist[:D])

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:57 am

Great hunt and awesome deer....think I would have done same hoping for the best but also looking toward a good change up for the last day if it didn't work....

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:32 pm

wait till tomorrow... she'll be back and so will he..maybe

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:37 pm

or don't

Sweet hunt, JPH

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:39 pm

great story-- great pic.  My advice is to always carry a doe bleat can along w/buck call.  I had a buck cross a field, nose to the ground on a scent trail, he had to be at least 125yrds out.  I grunted he paused, then started walking farther.  I grunted, he stopped and looked around and started walking away again.  I grunted then used the doe can bleat. He barely stopped, it was just a turn in my direction and CHARGE.  By the time I got him to stop, he was 30yrds to right.  I was standing in a line of pines. He was 10yrds from going past me.  I shot an arrow and nicked a branch.  No buck, but I learned to always always carry that doe bleat can.  Thats why it's called hut'n.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm

I missed this story the first time around.

I'm pretty conservative and probably would have just stayed on stand.  I think I need to change my ways based on that outcome!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices