help with lock on

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
burnnurse1

help with lock on

Postby burnnurse1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 am

Next season I will be using a lock on for the first time. I bought an API 300 mag. with 20' climbing sticks. My question is, what is the safest way to go about hanging this thing. Once I get up the tree, I'm obviously going to need both hands to secure it in place so I wont be able to hold onto the climbing sticks with one and fasten to the tree with the other. I've got a safety harness that I plan on using. Doesn't look like there is a lot of room for error. Any advice?

AfterShock95

RE: help with lock on

Postby AfterShock95 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:02 pm

the way I do it is to have a friend with you tie a rope to the stand climb up in the tree and throw the rope around a branch and have you buddy pull the treestand up to you in the tree use you safty harness or linemans belt to support your weight so you have both hands free to do what you need to do in the tree

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:42 pm

I normally use screw in steps, once I got all my steps in I use my safety harness like a linemans belt and stand on my top two steps with both hands free and the linemans belt supporting my weight.  You get an uneasy feeling the first time you use the linemans belt 20 feet up but they're very secure.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 pm

i bought a small(2-3") pulley from the local hardware store. tie this to the tree  a  couple feet higher than the  desired stand height. the you run a rope throught the pulley to the ground, now you can haul you stand to where you want it ,tie it off and its now supported while you secure it to the tree. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Does it get tangled all the way up?

I also use a lineman's belt, works great!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:01 pm

Having a helping friend is always the best.  Having someone on the groung who can pull up or lower the stand by rope helps tremendously.  However.  When I must hang them by myself I climb to the desired height of my stand then either find a strong limb a few feet above that or screw in a step at a steep angle and run a rope around it.  I tie the rope to the stand and from the ground raise the stand a little higher than where i want it.  Once there, i tie my other end of the rope to something that's not going ot move.  A four wheeler, tree, truck, etc.  I climb and hang my chain on the top of the stand and decline.  Untie the rope and then your stand should be hung.  All that's left to do is secure it to the tree.  Pull down on it to make sure the slack is out, and put a rachet strap on the bottom platform, and around the tree.  The lock on is locked.  Probably not the safest way, just how I do it.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Here's what I do...I use a Loggy Bayou safety harness, and this also doubles as a lineman's belt.  I take a rope and tie the end of it to the stand, and tie the other part to my pants loop.  Then, I strap myself on to the tree and start putting in the tree steps and climbing as I go.  When I get to the height that I want to hunt at, I pull the stand up and throw it up against the tree, tighten it up, put some pressure on it to make sure it's on good then step on it and put more pressure on to get a good fit.  This all with the safety harness on of course!!!!
QDM!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:22 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Does it get tangled all the way up?

I also use a lineman's belt, works great!

no not really. at least it hasnt been an issue for me.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:52 am

Another thing I would do is when you have it chained or strapped in, fold the platform and seat up and give it a tug downward then unfold the platform and seat. This seems to seat it better for me.

Thanks howhill, Ill have to look into rigging one up.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:53 am

Thanks guys! I was going to try and do it by myself b/c I've got a really good spot and don't want anybody else privy to my locations. But I might have to break down and get help. Really like the pulley idea for working alone. I just get awfully jittery when i get around 20' or so. Thanks alot!

Next

Return to Tree Stands