Permit Restructuring

twotone3

RE: Permit Restructuring

Postby twotone3 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:10 pm

1. Anyone can buy land if they have money.  2. All the land around where I hunt in Missouri has dropped in price in the past couple years.  So yes it is cheap even at this current moment in time.  3. I wouldn't be taking a loan out to buy land I'm not going to live on.  That's half the problem with this country now days.  People keep taking out loans for crap they don't need.  Yes it may be nice to own a piece of land but do you really need it, probably not. 

What do you mean property taxes are nil?  We pay taxes every year on the land we own.  If you somehow don't have to pay those then you shouldn't complain about the fees raising cause you've already saved money that I have to spend.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Well twotone3, your last few posts have pretty much outed you as unreasonable.

My feelings about landowner rights have not changed due to my land ownership. As I have said before, so-called non-resident landowners in Iowa get screwed even worse than they do in Missouri. While I live in Iowa and I benefit from restrictive non-resident tags and excellent management, I feel it is wrong for people who own land here to be treated as if they do not have rights on their own land.

What's right is right.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:21 pm

well i am an out of state land owner in PA, and i probably pay more in taxes than most residents of PA and can feel absentee landowners pain, If you pay taxes you should have a voice and a vote,

"residentency" or non resident..a tax payer is a tax payer not to say the license fees should be equal but each should share in the same percentage increase

non residents spend a lot to hunt ...gas..maybe lodging..meals..license fees..hunting equipment...in my case trips to the local lumber store ..pharmacy...grocrey..etc..

so you residents shouldn't be so quick to run us off....we support your economy...in PA it is in the billions state wide imagine if we were gone...where would your jobs go...then

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:58 pm

ORIGINAL: twotone3
1. Anyone can buy land if they have money.  2. All the land around where I hunt in Missouri has dropped in price in the past couple years.  So yes it is cheap even at this current moment in time.  3. I wouldn't be taking a loan out to buy land I'm not going to live on.  That's half the problem with this country now days.  People keep taking out loans for crap they don't need.  Yes it may be nice to own a piece of land but do you really need it, probably not. 

What do you mean property taxes are nil?  We pay taxes every year on the land we own.  If you somehow don't have to pay those then you shouldn't complain about the fees raising cause you've already saved money that I have to spend.

Anyone can buy land IF they have the money, so that excludes a lot of "anyones", so no, anyone can't buy land.  Dropping in price doesn't equal cheap - we bought our land 7 years ago at $625 an acre, by comparison to today's prices that would be cheap.  Show me somewhere in Missouri where you can still get decent land at that price, then we can talk cheap land. 

You might not take out a loan for land you wouldn't live on, I would, land is an investment and a pretty good one at that.  If I can get recreational use out of it, then so much the better.  As for crap I don't need, how do you know what I need or don't need or what purpose owning land serves in meeting those needs.

Property taxes to me are nil - I pay about $180 a year or there abouts - to me that's nil.  I don't miss the $180, having it or not having it isn't going to change the way I live, so it's nil.  The price of tags isn't going to effect the way I live either, and no I won't miss that money, but to me it's a matter of fairness.  I own land in Missouri, I should have the same rights as anyone else who does and I would feel the same about people who own land in Kansas and don't live here.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:59 pm

ORIGINAL: dtrain56
non residents spend a lot to hunt ...gas..maybe lodging..meals..license fees..hunting equipment...in my case trips to the local lumber store ..pharmacy...grocrey..etc..

so you residents shouldn't be so quick to run us off....we support your economy...in PA it is in the billions state wide imagine if we were gone...where would your jobs go...then

Excellent points!!
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 am

That's right.  You are helping our economy.  With higher non-resident hunting licenses.  Thank you all who come to my great state and hunt.  We have plenty of animals.  We want your money.

another thing.  If you are a landowner, over a ceritan number of acres (not sure how many) your hunting tags are free.  You have to buy a license to hunt but thats no different than any other state. 

"I feel it is wrong for people who own land here to be treated as if they do not have rights on their own land.

What's right is right. " ----JPH's quote.

What rights are you referring too?  As far as I know a non-resident land owner has exactly the same rights as I do as a resident land owner.  He or she just has to pay a little more for the "privlege" to hunt in this state.
[align=right]
[/align]
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:30 am

you do make some good points.  However you not living in this state, you don't pay all the taxes that an average resident does.  While I understand your points, i think it's fair to have non-resident landowners permits be more expensive.  The taxes i'm referring to are sales taxes, etc.  Just a way for our state to make a little more money.  If it helps you sleep better at night, just think that at least your money is going to our conservation departments.  It could be going to something that you don't enjoy or use.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 am

ORIGINAL: whubbard

If you are a landowner, over a ceritan number of acres (not sure how many) your hunting tags are free. 

Not true.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 am

It is absolutley true.  I own 290 acres in souther missouri.  I buy a hunting license each year.  I get landowner tags free.  Not trying to be the A hole here, but I damn sure know what I pay for and what I don't in a state I've been hunting in now for 21 years.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:11 am

I guess I am confused here. I thought we were talking about non-resident landowners. In that case the notion of free tags is absolutely not true. This is my whole point, that land ownership is land ownership and there should not be a double standard.

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri