Hey Neighbor in Shenandoah County....

whitetailtime

RE: Hey Neighbor in Shenandoah County....

Postby whitetailtime » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:53 am

That is a mock scrape that I established earlier during bow season. I never did see this deer during the whole season. Whenever I check my trail camera I will pee in that mock scrape to freshen it up.

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:56 am

Yes, this picture was taken on a piece of ground in Culpeper County.

mb915

Postby mb915 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:11 am

whitetailtime,

What did you use to create your mock scrape and how do you go about doing it?

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:08 pm

Tink's makes a mock scrape spray. I will take a broken branch and clear out some leaves where their is an overhanging branch. To get the scrape started I will spray the Tink"s spray on the cleared ground and just little bit of doe pee. Then at the end of the day after sitting in my stand. I will dump the contents of my pee bottle right in the middle of the scrape. The trail camera picked up alot of activity during the rut. Mostly smaller bucks.

kabrevcus

Postby kabrevcus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:14 pm

That's cool you've had so much success with the mock scrape. What's your experience been (if any) with the scrape site pre/post rut? Feb-Sept for that matter?
"Lets get this straight. If anyone around here is going to do any stealing, its going to be me!"
-Granpa Kabrevcus

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:22 pm

This is the first year that I've done this. I didn't purchase the trail cameras until Oct. 2008. I will let you know what happens in the coming months. I am learning as I go.

kabrevcus

Postby kabrevcus » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 am

Little North Mountain is the mountain ridge that runs just North/North West of I-81 in Shenandoah County. For us, its accessed by Rt 600 - Zepp Road on the North, and Back Road (not sure the route #, which is on the South).
By the way Sheandoah County has a great gis website for Topo etc...you may already be aware.....http://www.shenandoahgis.org/
"Lets get this straight. If anyone around here is going to do any stealing, its going to be me!"
-Granpa Kabrevcus

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:44 am

Kabrevcus,

It's been years since I heard of Zepp.  I used to know some boys that had some land up there.  The Brills.  Some crazy dudes. 

kabrevcus

Postby kabrevcus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:49 am

I know there a bunch of Brill's still there, but can't say I know them  - just see mailboxes. Some on Zepp Road, and up near Van Buren Furnace. 
Care to share how they got a label of "crazy dudes" ?
-Granpa Kabrevcus

mb915

Postby mb915 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:03 am

kabrevcus,

We must be hunting the same deer.  I hunt right off Zepp Rd as well, actually off of Fairmont ln (the access rd off of Zepp to the NF), and then at the end of Zepp up on Van Buren Furnace.  If you drive Zepp Rd right at dusk, there are deer all over the place.  Just wish a few more of the landowners would grow some crops in the valley to give the deer some more food.

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia