Bacon Wrapped Back Strap 2

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
passin through

Bacon Wrapped Back Strap 2

Postby passin through » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:32 am

Another variation to this deer camp wonder:

Take a  whole back strap and soak it in salt water about like you normally would for any thing else to get the rest of the blood out and tenderize a bit.
Prepare your foil and bacon set up by laying 1-2 lbs of bacon out on the foil each slice touching so it looks like you have a sheet of bacon.
Butterfly the whole backstrap open length ways and lay open on top of the bacon.
Inside the cut lay a thin bead of italian salad dressing (optional)then end to end length ways lay 3-5 sticks  of 1/4" cheese  (those snacks they make for kids work great but you can cut your own)  I like using pepper jack this year.  Then add 1-3 thin sliced FRESH jalapenos with the seeds removed and some diced onion.  Splash on a few squirts of worchestershire sauce and sprinkle with montreal steak seasoning.  Close your strap up slowly and begin wrapping with the bacon it is laying on ---criss crossing the bacon and over laying it as you go.  (like lacing boots)  when you reach the end you should not need toothpicks at all.  After that wrap it up in the foil the bacon was laying on and add a 2nd layer to protect against leaks.  Lay the roll on a medium grill for 30-45 minutes and rotate ever so often.  Its done when your stomach says you can't stand it any more[:D]

Remember to take the seeds out of the Japs though or you will light up!  Unless the strap is fresh and you cant soak it then leave em in to kill off some of the gamey taste.

And if you really want to impress:
and you are blessed enough to have access to Boudain (Cajun sausage) you can do this the same way but skipp the cheese and rabbit food, bust the wrap on the boudain and stuff the whole strap full of the sausage stuffing then wrap in bacon.  Cooks a little quicker and has a slight danger factor .....[:D]in that if you dont get you fingers out of the way you may bite your hand once or twice while eating.[:D]

whubbard

RE: Bacon Wrapped Back Strap 2

Postby whubbard » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:30 am

HELP ME.  I've prepared all of this like you said, but no grill.  Took it to my cabin last weekend and left it.  Forgot until I went out to start it.  Do you what I need to do to cook this in the oven?  What temp?  How long?  If i need to leave it in the foil? 

BTW, even  if this doesn't come out right, it looks phenomenal pre-cooked.  I'll be trying it again regardless of what happens tonight as soon as i bring my grill home next weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

passin through

Postby passin through » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Me and ovens generally don't get along too well but....... try it about 375-400?  I would definitely leave wrapped in foil or cover the pan in foil whichever...you could just put on a cookie sheet still wrapped in foil.  I would say on cook times you would need to take a SWAG.  I would try 25 -30 minutes and see...a meat thermometer would help so you would not have to keep unwrapping if not done on 1st check.  Which way did you try?  With the Boudain or the Jalapenos?

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:08 am

With the Jalapenos.  wowza!  It was delicious.  My wife is still talking about it.  We had company over, and the husband doesn't eat deer meat.  pretty picky eater.  However he ate this.  Thanks again.  It was amazing.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

Return to Recipes