What kind of knife do you have?

JPH

RE: What kind of knife do you have?

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 am

Found a photo of my knife online. I guess it's called a "buffalo skinner". Still do not know much about its history.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:57 pm

The best knife I ever had was handmade by my highschool math teacher. He was as good at knife making as he was at teaching, and is one of the finest teachers I have ever known. (and my wife is a teacher) It was a fine skinning knife with mahogany handles. He also made the hand-sewn leather sheath to go with it. It was lost in a divorce (along with lots of other stuff).
The knife I currently carry is a Ducks Unlimited commemorative banquet knife. I'm not sure who made it but it holds a good edge. Some people would say I was crazy to ever use it because it is a collectors item, but since I have no plans to ever get rid of it, I might as well use it.

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:03 pm

I carry a Buck 110 from their Custom Shop.  KOA scales and BG-42 steel.  I'm kinda a Buck 110 nut and have plenty of them to use.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:28 pm

Cabella's Alaskan Guide Series.

I have a spderco knife that i carry with me all the time.  However three years ago, I bought a "Alaskan Guide Series" from Cabellas.  It has two swinging blades.  One knife, and one gut hook with saw.  It's awesome, holds a razor sharp edge very well.  A few strokes across a wet stone after cleaning and skinning it's right back where it needs to be for the next deer.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:38 pm

You have to love the Buck knives.  They stand by their product, that's for sure.  I had two Buck knives with broken tips (my fault) and they replaced them at no charge to me.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

John1961

Postby John1961 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:31 am

Just a 5 inch Old Timer, folding blade. I use it for everything. Gutting, skinning cutting meat from the bone, even cleaned fish with it. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:41 pm

My hunting knife is similar to the buffalo skinner above but wooden handled and more than likely purchased at a flea market. My uncle gave It to me years ago when I first started hunting.

My fish knife is a Rapala filet I bought in 95. Not much a knife but it has fileted it's share of grouper/snapper/dolphin and still holding an edge.

Both have sentimental value.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:07 am

Buck knife....schrade skinner w/guthook...and a new cabelas guide seiries skinner

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:59 am

Folding gerber gator, I've been using it for the last 7 or 8 years.  It replaced a buck that I had used for several years before, I lost it after gutting my biggest deer to date.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:52 am

Mine is hand made by an old freind. It sure will hold a darn good edge.

PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Accessories