P90X???

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
whubbard

P90X???

Postby whubbard » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Has anyone seen this or tried it?  The P90X workout videos?  there's 13 of them and you are supposed to work out an hour a day every day for three months and it's supposed to really get you strong and cut up.  Considering it but don't know anyone "real" who's tried it. 
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

DeerCamp

RE: P90X???

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:25 pm

Yeah Ive heard of it..I have a buddy trying it out right now..only the 2nd week.. But Ill let ya know how it goes for him.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:03 am

I know a little about it. They use primarily body weight and high intensity routines. It is an excellent concept and DOES produce results.

My problem with it is this; they act like this is something new. Heck, everyone is trying to cash in on this style with all that "boot camp" crap. Guys, this style of exercise is as old as mankind! It may have fell out of style in the 70's when body building and distance running both became popular, but the military, boxers, wrestlers, and prisoners have been doing the P90X stuff all along.

I would not pay the money that are asking for it. I have recommended several books that deal with the same stuff on the "helpful products". I have purchased them and would do it again. If you use them, you can create your own P90X program.

However, if money is not an object or if you struggle with motivation, give it a try but please come back here to review it for us.

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:12 am

I have and second most of what JPH mentions.  I did find it helpful for the fact it's nice to have it all planned out and watchable on a dvd.

My wife and I did it for two months, then stopped during hunting season.  We haven't made time for it again, but will be soon.

I purchased mine used.  A great value, in my opinion.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:20 am

I was thinking..you might be able to find some of the videos on youtube.com.. It might be worth checking out.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:05 am

Canned programs (like P90X and others) are good and bad.

Good because they do the legwork for you. many of us lack the grounding in exercise science or the time necessary to build our own program. They also help with motivation. That is a good thing.

Bad because they are generic and may not fit your individual needs. They are great at the start but if you hit a roadblock (such as an injury or deer season) you may fall off the wagon. One of the most important things about what I do with my own program is to listen to my body. I will often push it to the limit when I can but also I try to avoid injury by looking for subtle signs of overtraining. Canned programs don't allow this type of flexability. Kind of like fad diets.

Again, I'm not bashing P90X. I'm just saying that theer is no substitute for a good old fashoned work ethic and basic exercise science. If P90X jump starts that for you, great. But don't stop there!

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:03 am

Good point.  The program is very intense and my body was telling me "extra rest days!", which I did :)  It really isn't meant to be your lifelong exercise routine, just a hardcore 90 butt kicking you need from time to time.

My normal "routine" is a random selection of whatever body weight/pull ups I feel like doing on any particular day with 3-4 days of week of brisk walking at lunch (3 + miles).

There are many rivers to one water.  As long as your body is in motion, you are doing something right :)

ORIGINAL: JPH
Canned programs (like P90X and others) are good and bad.

I will often push it to the limit when I can but also I try to avoid injury by looking for subtle signs of overtraining. Canned programs don't allow this type of flexability. Kind of like fad diets.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:16 am

ORIGINAL: fr0sty

Good point.  The program is very intense and my body was telling me "extra rest days!", which I did :)  It really isn't meant to be your lifelong exercise routine, just a hardcore 90 butt kicking you need from time to time.

My normal "routine" is a random selection of whatever body weight/pull ups I feel like doing on any particular day with 3-4 days of week of brisk walking at lunch (3 + miles).

There are many rivers to one water.  As long as your body is in motion, you are doing something right :)

X1!

MHHC S. IL

Postby MHHC S. IL » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Well I just got the P90X series.  The reason is I'm graduating college at the beginning of May and won't have a FREE state of the art gym I can walk to in five minutes whenever I want.  I just can't bring myself to pay what some of the gyms around home want for a membership.  I plan to purchase a treadmill and work in the P90X stuff to try to keep from losing the muscle I have managed to tone up pretty good in my college years.  I'll let you know around August how it worked.

Also, for those worried about the cost of the DVD's....if you know somebody who already has them, they are burnable[;)]
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:48 am

ORIGINAL: MHHC S. IL
...won't have a FREE state of the art gym I can walk to in five minutes whenever I want.  I just can't bring myself to pay what some of the gyms around home want for a membership...

I that's your bag man, I highly reccomend this book!
http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness