Scent-Lok or Scent Blocker?

DeanoZ

Scent-Lok or Scent Blocker?

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 am

I'm considering making the investment in scent blocking technology clothing.  The two primary brands I'm aware of are Scent-Lok and and Scent-Blocker.  Anyone have experience with one or both of these?  I know Scent Blocker usues a charcoal activated technology, not sure what Scent-Lok uses.  Right now I'm leaning towards Scent-Lok simply because the reviews on Scent-blocker clothing suggest the durability of the clothing is suspect.  However I like the idea of just "throwing it in the dryer" to re-activate the charcoal.

FFKEVIN

RE: Scent-Lok or Scent Blocker?

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:06 am

[font=tahoma]I use Scent-Lok for everything.  The first scent blocking clothing I bought was Scent-Lok and I was so impressed that I continued to keep buying Scent-Lok for all my different camo.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Never tried the Scent Blocker stuff, but some of my hunting buddies have and they have now all switched to Scent-Lok.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for the link and feedback...this is awesome, and I especially liekd the FAQ and tutorial they had on Scent-lok!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 am

[font=tahoma]No problem.  Also, if there is something you want and you don't see it on the web site, e-mail Joe and see if he can get it for you.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:57 am

Will do...I'm actually looking for scentlok coveralls and I don't see them so I'll email him..thanks again!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 am

FFKEVIN,
Thanks for the link.  My wife is new to hunting and is starting from scratch. We'll definitely give that site a look see.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:01 pm

My brother and I both have the Scentblocker Dreamseason suits. I've had mine for 2 years now and he's had his for 1 season. I love them! Super quit and the most comfortable camo I've ever worn. No problems at all with durability, they stand up to alot. Put over 250 hrs in mine so far and absolutely no complaints. I've hunted in rain, sleet, and snow and I stay dry and warm.
The pockets are designed for bowhunting as well as the front zipper. The pants pockets have a zipper on the side of the pocket so when your sitting down the access is right there which is more convenient than you may think!

Before I bought the scentblocker suit I bought scentloks full season suit and after shooting my bow with them and trying them out in different scenarios(its alot of money so I tested them) I just didn't like the way they fit and I ended up taking them back and going with scent blocker.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:02 pm

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

I'm considering making the investment in scent blocking technology clothing.  The two primary brands I'm aware of are Scent-Lok and and Scent-Blocker.  Anyone have experience with one or both of these?  I know Scent Blocker usues a charcoal activated technology, not sure what Scent-Lok uses.  Right now I'm leaning towards Scent-Lok simply because the reviews on Scent-blocker clothing suggest the durability of the clothing is suspect.  However I like the idea of just "throwing it in the dryer" to re-activate the charcoal.

So where do you get a dryer that can get to 1500 degrees F without burning the garments to cinders?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:09 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

So where do you get a dryer that can get to 1500 degrees F without burning the garments to cinders?

not sure I'm tracking Woods, but here it is straight from the MFG...

Q: "I've heard it takes over 900° to reactivate a Scent-Lok suit, is that true?"
A: No. Adsorption occurs in two distinctly different ways; chemisorption and physical adsorption. In Scent-Lok garments the human odor enters the activated carbon pores and typically forms a physical bond. This bond is called van der Waals interaction and the bonds break in a household dryer allowing for another round of adsorption.
High temperatures and energy are required to break chemically bonded molecules. Chemical adsorption occurs when two molecules create a very strong covalent bond (the type of bond that creates water from hydrogen and oxygen) and needs extreme energy and heat to separate (900° and beyond) if it is even possible.

Could the mfg be full of it?  Perhaps, but I've heard testimony from several here and elsewhere that swear by it...and if it saves me $60/ season worth of scent eliminator in the process, so much the better!

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:40 am

They are equally effective. I've used both kinds and would recommend them both. It's kind of like choosing between Pepsi and Coke, in my opinion!

Next

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators