Apple-scented shampoo?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeerCamp

RE: Apple-scented shampoo?

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Sounds like an idea..But im not sure if it work. I think that there would be other stuff other than the apples deer would smell..I have often wonderd why some hunting companys dont make sugar beat, carrot, or even apple.. And JUST that.. I know what kinda of apple shampoo you are talkinga bout b ut I dont know if itd work..But it'd be cool if it did.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:10 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

My little girl uses "apple scented" shampoo. It does not smell anything like apples.

Once she accidentialy used my scent-away soap and was mad at me for leaving it out. She was worried that she was going to smeall like a deer. [:D]

She hit the nail on the head there!

We need deer scented shampoo!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:38 pm

There is a product out that's called deer herd in a stick that looks like deodorant. I'd bet a paycheck that someone has used it that way.[:D]
Dave M.

wack

Postby wack » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:44 am

Before the stores were filled with hunting products, I did try Apple and other scented shampoo's. I have also put apple and onion slices in with my cloths and have used apple slices as cover scent in my tree stands. What I've learned from these experiences? Bee's love apples! I don't know how a deer interperets apple shampoo smell but insects like bee's like it.

I made the mistake of leaving apple slices in a tree stand one time and a friend of mine was the next to use the stand. He climbed up and came right back down because bee's had swarmed my apples. Bee's aren't the only criitter's that like apples either. If you are in bear territory and hunting from a tree stand, might want to skip the apple shampoo and food type cover scent unless you want them IN your stand....Bears, deer, squirrels, raccoons, ants, bees and gnats will all come to apples. If they don't come to your shampoo then it doesn't really smell like apples.

I'm also convinced that deer learn what common cover scents smell like. A few encounters with a deer while you're 99% scent free, people say you smell "further away" to the deer. Maybe the first time, but the next time that buck smells your 1%, he's not going to trust his nose for distance, he's going to get out of Dodge. Changing up your scent control products and not using what everyone else is using can help keep the deer in an area from patterning you. Even going with out any scent control once in a while can play to your advantage in the long run. Deer are curious, maybe 1 time with the funky apple shampoo will make them curious, after time, it will be a warning flag.

I had all my bow hunting gear stolen one year, had it all in a small scent free trailer that I could pull behind my motorcycle, truck or anything with a hitch. I had everything in the trailer and they took the whole trailer. I was devistated, didn't hunt for 2 weeks. All I had left was a back up bow and 4 arrows. After 2 weeks mourning and pouting, I decided to at least go out to the woods and see what's going on. Bright blue ski jacket, blue jeans, smelly old sneakers, every day cloths. It was one of the best hunting days I've had. I spent all day stalking the biggest buck I've ever seen bow hunting. Was within 40 yards a half dozen times, at sunset I had the sun at my back, wind in my face, he's way out in an open field with 0 cover. One step at a time, while he ate, I closed the distance, he'd look up, I'd freeze. I got to 35 yards, full draw, he turned away and took a few steps and kept eating. I took a few steps and he just walks slowly straight away. I let my draw down, looked at the time, 2 minutes past closing. I can't explain how good that hunt was for me. Without scent control or camo, I could still get it done.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:25 am

Great post Wack!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:53 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Great post Wack!

DITTO THAT!

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:06 am

Wack: What your post shows is that while camo, scent-loc, cover scents, lures, and the like are great "magic feathers", the truth is YOU DON'T NEED THEM TO KILL A DEER.

They help, but people have been killing deer for eons without them just fine....to the point of damn near exterminating them in some areas!

Watch the wind, don't shine, and don't move. You'll do just fine.......[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:12 am

Very good hunt WACK! Also rweyman is that your mount in your photo? If it is that is very sharp.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Wack: What your post shows is that while camo, scent-loc, cover scents, lures, and the like are great "magic feathers", the truth is YOU DON'T NEED THEM TO KILL A DEER.

They help, but people have been killing deer for eons without them just fine....to the point of damn near exterminating them in some areas!

Watch the wind, don't shine, and don't move. You'll do just fine.......[;)]

This is where we begin to drift apart. [;)]

Do you NEED scent control, camo, etc. to kill a deer? No. Are they "magic feathers"? No!

The big buck in Wack's story was nice enough to remain in a position that allowed Wack to stalk him from with the sun at his back and the wind in his face. If that were always the sitaution then your "magic feather" statement might hold up. But deer are hunted in a 360 degree landscape, under all kinds of weather conditions and at all times of daylight.

Anyone can get lucky. The great hunters (IMO) are the ones who can kill mature bucks and lots of does consistently. To ignore scent control and reasonable concealmant via camo makes it very, very hard to be consistent.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 am

Woods I respect the hell out of you, but I'm siding with JPH on this one....you can hunt with the wind to your face all you want but sure as heck he's going to come from a different direction.  Having that 360 degree capability IMHO may be the difference between a successful harvest or tag soup that season.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices