Apple-scented shampoo?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: Apple-scented shampoo?

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:37 pm

All I can tell you folks is that I hunt on the ground, I try to remain as scent free (clean) as possible, I work the wind, and I kill deer. Consistantly. Work the cover, shadows, and light condidtions, and you'll do just fine. The other stuff helps, to be sure, but it ain't NECESSARY.

Plenty of pioneers and native Americans did just fine feeding themselves and their families without Mossy Oak, Scent-Loc, and all the other stuff that keeps the magazines in business.

Don't forget, all that designer camo that you all like to spend your kid's inheritance on every few years when a new "gotta have it" pattern comes out......MOST OF IT DEER CAN'T SEE ANYWAY BECAUSE IT'S COLORED!!!!

If you feel you "need" it, then go for it. You'll probably do more to help the economic recovery that way!

Whatever works for ya..........[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:52 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"]Don't forget, all that designer camo that you all like to spend your kid's inheritance on every few years when a new "gotta have it" pattern comes out......MOST OF IT DEER CAN'T SEE ANYWAY BECAUSE IT'S COLORED!!!![/size]

Easy now. Nobody said that we had to have the latest pattern or that we spend irresponsibly chasing fads. My contention is with your characterization of scent control and cammo as "magic feathers". 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:33 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Don't forget, all that designer camo that you all like to spend your kid's inheritance on every few years when a new "gotta have it" pattern comes out......MOST OF IT DEER CAN'T SEE ANYWAY BECAUSE IT'S COLORED!!!!

Easy now. Nobody said that we had to have the latest pattern or that we spend irresponsibly chasing fads. My contention is with your characterization of scent control and cammo as "magic feathers". 

While I do believe that scent control (or being as scent free as possible) is necessary (although I do believe that scent-loc for the most part is a magic feather), I still contend that for the most part designer camo patterns ARE a magic feather. You DON'T need them. If you don't shine, don't smell and don't move, then you will kill deer.

How many of us have no problem killing deer with blaze orange on? In Illinois we have to wear SOLID blaze orange, none of that blaze orange camo here, and I kill deer on the ground while wearing it at very close ranges.

Too many hunters think that if they wear the state of the art camo pattern, that they can get away with more movement...'taint so, as you well know. In fact, one the other hand, if someone wears fancy camo and becomes more CONFIDENT in his abilities, the it does serve it's purpose.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:45 pm

We agree on the cammo thing, but I assume that you leave the blaze orange at home when you are in a bow only season. There must be a reason. And while we both enjoyed Wack's story, neither of us is going to adopt smelly sneakers, jeans and a blue ski-jacket as our primary hunting get up.

As far as the scent-lok, scent control issue we disagree. But that has been well documented. [:D] 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Dat's right! 

DON'T:

Smell

Shine

Or move.

End of story....[:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:52 pm

I assume that you leave the blaze orange at home when you are in a bow only season. There must be a reason.

Woods Walker,
Do you where camo, bow hunting?
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:07 pm

[size="3"]Dat's right!  [/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]DON'T:[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]Smell[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]Shine[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]Or move.[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]End of story....[:)][/size]

Like this?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:15 pm

I wear a ghillie suit, which is more of a blind than "camo", in the sense of what we are talking about here. What makes the ghillie suit so effective, isn't the color per se (it's rather non-descript), but the fact that it completely obliterates the human shape. I also gun hunt with it, and wear a blaze orange bandana tied in the headpiece and an oversized blaze orange fleece vest over it to comply with Illinois law.

But that being said, yes, I have camo. It looks cool. But I also hunt in wool plaids too, and due to the non light refractive properties of wool, it is a very effective garment to wear for deer hunting. Good fleece is quite similar, and I try and get my blaze orange stuff in fleece whenever I can.

IMO, the specific COLORS are not all that important, just as long as there's no shine/noise, and there's some contrast in shades. The other important thing is to try to reduce the human form as much as possible. Even if you are head to toe in
"Mossy Oak First Week Of November" camo, if you still have the shape of a human, THEY WILL SEE YOU!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:44 pm

Dat's right! 

DON'T:

Smell

Shine

Or move.

Like this?

Kinda....but without Toby's panties! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Dat's right! 

DON'T:

Smell

Shine

Or move.

Like this?

That's hilarious!  It's a ninja rock! 

All I have to say is ROYGBIV, do you know him?  Deer see the back side of the spectrum better than the front side.  They don't see orange very well (like we do anyways), but they see blue very well!
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices