H&R Slug Gun,switching guns

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Deldeerhunter

H&R Slug Gun,switching guns

Postby Deldeerhunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:27 am

I've neen deer hunting with my Remington 870 Wingmaster for 30 years now.I have put a rifled choke tube and scope on it over the years and it has taken many a deer for me over the years.But I don't know if I am rushing my shots or just shooting beyond my range the past few years,but I have missed more deer in the past 4-5 years then in 30 plus years.I was shooting Brenneke's green sluns.So after a year of at least 8 missed deer,I decided I needed to make a move,so I bought a new H&R Single Shot Slug gun in 20 gauge.I am waiting for my Bushnell scope to come in and be mounted at the shop,but I am excited about shooting a new gun.Has anyone used one of these guns and how did it shoot?I'm thinking of shooting something like a Lightfield to start.Here in Delaware,some of the places I hunt alot of my shots can be over 100-150 yards.I hear this gun should be accurate up to close to 200 yards.Any thoughts?...Thanks..

AfterShock95

RE: H&R Slug Gun,switching guns

Postby AfterShock95 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 am

did you check to make sure your cross hairs didn't move or god forbid break

Deldeerhunter

Postby Deldeerhunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:40 am

scope and crosshairs are fine.My Swift scope is only about 7 years old maybe.Shooting from a bench I am shooting 3 inch groups at 50 yards.

MAXELM

Postby MAXELM » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:20 pm

I have the H&R 20 gauge USH and have 4x Simmons pro diamond scope on it. I've taken seveal deer with it using lightfield slugs. I changed slugs to Hornady sst and sighted it in, but never took it hunting with me the past season. Overall, a very accurate gun.......  

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:52 am

check out the best slug guns thread little bit of discussion about the H&R slug gun

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=7470&mpage=2?
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

wack

Postby wack » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:15 am

I love my NEF single shot 30-06. I think you'll like the H&R. My worry would be the Bushnel scope. Nothing wrong with the high end Bushnel scopes, I've got a Bushnel Elite 3-9x40 on my slug gun and love it, but the cheap Bushnel scopes are a waist of money. Get the best scope you can afford.

200 yards? Well a 20 Ga. has more range than a 12 Ga. If you're looking for 200 yard range, I'd start out with a variable power scope. 3x-9x is pretty good, I would want my low to be no more than 4x. I'd want to try a variety of slugs and find the one the gun likes best. Sabots have longer range but have issues with the sleeves that can cause what I call fliers. The sleeve breaks and the wad and bullet go off target. I've seen them with 2" groups at 100 yards and then miss by a foot shooting from a led sled. I've heard the Hornady sabots are better, but haven't tried them yet. I stick to shorter range Breneke Gold slugs in my 12 Ga.

That old slug gun I'd retire. Choke tubs take a beating with slugs. After awhile, they'll change shape and wear out. If it's been wild for awhile, the barrel and threads may have changed shape and been weakened also. As a choke tube goes, so does accuracy. Sounds like your choke tube has been worn out for awhile. I'd at least throw the old choke tube in the garbage and get a new one for shot. (no more slugs) If it's nice and clean and you have trouble turning a new choke tube into it, retire the gun.  After 30 years, it's earned a retirement. It's not worth the risk of blowing off a choke tube. Do't take my word on it, take it to a gunsmith and get a professional opinion. 30 years ago they didn't have the ammo made today and barrels didn't need to be so hard. Many of those shotguns were damaged the first time steel shot was used. When an old barrel goes wild, it's time for a new gun.
If I'm not mistaken, you can get a bunch of different barrels for your new gun and they're fairly cheap. A heck of a lot cheaper than TC. My NEF is 19 years old now and if I'd put a notch on the stock for every deer, there wouldn't be much stock left. lol my Handi Rifle was about $160 back in '90, what are they going for now? Was thinking about a stainless steel one.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:28 am

ORIGINAL: Deldeerhunter

I've neen deer hunting with my Remington 870 Wingmaster for 30 years now...

It's hard to beat the old wingmasters, it's even harder to retire them.  I have three one was made in 1970, 1975 and I'm not sure on the third I just purchased it about a month ago along with a rifled barrel, it's about time the elder is sent to it's permanent spot in the gun cabinet. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Deldeerhunter

Postby Deldeerhunter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:30 am

Thanks for the replies guys,I havent gotten the chance to shoot the new gun,been laid up after some foot surgery but I am hoping to get out soon enough.My old 870 has a fairly new barrel with the choke tube..its only about 5-6 years old,so maybe I will have my local gun shop look at it.I was going to put a new fully rifled barrel on it but I got the H&R on sale for almost the same price as a new barrel.So..always have room for another gun...lol..

As for taking shots out to 200 yards..I'm not sure I will be doing alot of that...but at least around 140-150 is not all that uncommon for some of the places I hunt.
Thanks again for the help..

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:18 am

For the price of the New England Firearms rifles / shotguns , just buy each separately for around $200 . I have a 223 Handirifle Bull Barrel ($250 with 3X9 scope), a 25-06 Handirifle ($205 Gander Mt gave me WalMart price), a 50 cal Huntsman ($135) and a 12 ga Turkey Gun ($90 after store discounts) ...........
You can put a shotgun barrel on a rifle receiver (SB2) but you cannot put a rifle barrel on a shotgun receiver (SB1) . If you buy an extra barrel , you need to have the receiver sent into H&R to have a barrel fitted .
Just an opinion ..........[:)]
Semper Fi !

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi, Where you at in De. I'm in Dover, I have 2 H&R's and love them both. one in 20 with a 3x9x40 Swift, and ! in 12 with a Bushnell Dusk to dawn scope . I shoot 2,75 Lightfields in both and they are a deer's worst nightmare, LOL

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo