Home made jerky

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
John1961

Home made jerky

Postby John1961 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 pm

I read of was told years ago how to make home made jerky in your oven. Does any one do this and if so how is it done? 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

msbadger

RE: Home made jerky

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:46 am

just had this discussion with family the other day....all mad at ME because I didn't make enough jerky!!...Well it takes time/lots of deer meat and I hunt!...lol

I make my own marinade but there are alot of good recipes out there ...google some ...but I use wine ...soy...worchester sauce...garlic powder... liquid smoke ...brown sugar ...molasses....ect...to taste most have alot of salt...we can't... so mine is always refrig...and used soon

I use semi frozen meat ...cuts MUCH easier and slice it no thinner than 1/16 no more than an 1/8 in....gal. ziploc add meat and marinade zip and refrig turn at least 2-x's a day for three days and paper towel dri and place on drying racks in dehydrator ...rearrange racks 3-x's a day until meat is bendable but not breakable..time can range from 18hrs to 2 days ...depends on how many racks....if your oven goes lower than 170 dgr....mine does not you can dry it in your oven with door ajar..150dgr.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:54 am

I made some jerky this year and was very pleased with the way it turned out. I used a hand-crank grinder, a "Jerky Blaster" from Cabelas, and an electric dehydrator. You could just as easily use the oven -- I've done that before. I used a store-bought seasoning. I also made jerky from the breast meat of a turkey I got last fall, and added chunky applesauce to it. It was very good. I was a little afraid of grinding it, but it turned out very well. Once it was dry, you'd hardly know it was ground except that it's easier to chew.

I'll be making jerky every year from now on. I think I'll go eat some now.

Steve

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:40 am

I make a lot of jerky, I usually use seasoning from L.E.M, they have great flavor. Right now I'm making some using Bass Pro Shops seasonings. I do both ground meat and whole muscle meat.  I normally use a dehydrator but occasionally use the oven. 

Just a tip, If you don't already have dehydrator and are planning of getting one check out the models with the fan in the rear, it's cut my drying time in half.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Woody

Postby Woody » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:20 pm

I also enjoy making venison jerky. I for the most part use an electric food dehydrator made by Nesco American Harvest. The one I have I can load up about 3 lbs. of straight ground venison (not mixed). I also for the most part use the strore boughten seasonings. I like the cajun jerky seasoning made by Shore Luch. I did save a round roast from the hind quarter this year to slice and try that way.
3 lbs. of ground meat takes about 5 hours in my dehydrator.
Always looking for some good recipes and willing to try new things. So dont be afraid to share...        Thanks
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:41 pm

I make jerky in my oven using whole muscle meat.  I use a commercial seasoning and cure.  Put the cured meat on my trays in the oven at 200 degrees.  Prop the oven door open.  Start checking the dryness about 1 hour and 45 minutes into it.  It takes more than that when cutting thick.

John1961

Postby John1961 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:18 am

Hey fr0sty, could you give more details? Like how long after you put your jerky in the oven do you open the door? Got me hungry now.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:01 am

My uncle does it.. It tastes real good, however he says it takes a lot of time.. Sounds like the people on here know what they are talking about, so you should have some good pointers. My question is this... I make a lot of my deer meat into hamburger.. Can I thaw it out and flatten it you think and make jerky out of that? I would assume no but I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

MHHC S. IL

Postby MHHC S. IL » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:35 am

My dad and I have been making it for years using whole muscle meat, a dehydrator, and seasoning we get at rural king...it tastes great, and it's pretty healthy
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:46 am

Deer Camp
Yes you can make jerky from venison burger. I bought a "Jerky Works Kit" at Fleet Farm. It's kinda like my wife's cake decorating equipment, except you squeeze out ground meat into strips to dehydrate.It's made by American Harvest and the kit includes enough spices and cure packets to do 2 and 1/2 pounds of jerky.

Next

Return to Recipes