Scent-Lok or Scent Blocker?

stumpsitter66

RE: Scent-Lok or Scent Blocker?

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:42 am

Sorry for the double post. I must add, however, that I really like Gamehide clothing better than anything else out there. And they use Scent-Lok in their clothes.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Im with stumpsitter, the pepsi coke example is exactly how i feel, scent blocker was cheaper at gander mountain this year so that's why i bought scent blocker, bought lightweight shirt and pants,i'll be looking for some bibs, winter coat, and base layers this year, brand i get will again be determined on price and availability.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:45 pm

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

So where do you get a dryer that can get to 1500 degrees F without burning the garments to cinders?

not sure I'm tracking Woods, but here it is straight from the MFG...

Q: "I've heard it takes over 900° to reactivate a Scent-Lok suit, is that true?"
A: No. Adsorption occurs in two distinctly different ways; chemisorption and physical adsorption. In Scent-Lok garments the human odor enters the activated carbon pores and typically forms a physical bond. This bond is called van der Waals interaction and the bonds break in a household dryer allowing for another round of adsorption.
High temperatures and energy are required to break chemically bonded molecules. Chemical adsorption occurs when two molecules create a very strong covalent bond (the type of bond that creates water from hydrogen and oxygen) and needs extreme energy and heat to separate (900° and beyond) if it is even possible.

Could the mfg be full of it?  Perhaps, but I've heard testimony from several here and elsewhere that swear by it...and if it saves me $60/ season worth of scent eliminator in the process, so much the better!

LOL!!! The manufacturer??? HA! That's like asking Obama if his Spendthrift plan will work. OF COURSE THEY SAY IT WILL WORK!  What else do you expect them to say? That it WON'T?

Here's another opinion.......

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

IMO, they're an expensive gimmick.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:58 pm

I have used both and feel good about both. I always try to find discontinued stuff going on sale, but I will try FFKevin's link next time I buy any.

Gimmick? Maybe, but given all the other hunting expenses we do not bat an eye at, I would rather seek the edge just in case.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 pm

i swear by it. i dont think there is much of a difference between the two. I own scent lok and ive never had more success than what ive had while using it.. and you know.. even if you say it is a gimmick, ive never had a better set of camo.. to me its worth the money for the clothing and the scent blocking is just an extra. its sooo comfortable, durable and made to fulfill a bowhunters needs.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm not partial to either brand, Actually I think the most effective Carbon suit I found was by supprescent by Gore-tex.  It was also wind proof.

Heres another link to some good discount hunting clothing, I hit or miss so keep checking they occasionally get some really good deals.  I bought a scent lok liner top and bottom for less than $50, you can also sometimes find good deals on boots.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/22558_d-mens-hunting-jackets/all/?page=2
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:44 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

My brother and I both have the Scentblocker Dreamseason suits. I've had mine for 2 years now and he's had his for 1 season. I love them! Super quit and the most comfortable camo I've ever worn. No problems at all with durability, they stand up to alot. Put over 250 hrs in mine so far and absolutely no complaints. I've hunted in rain, sleet, and snow and I stay dry and warm.
The pockets are designed for bowhunting as well as the front zipper. The pants pockets have a zipper on the side of the pocket so when your sitting down the access is right there which is more convenient than you may think!

Before I bought the scentblocker suit I bought scentloks full season suit and after shooting my bow with them and trying them out in different scenarios(its alot of money so I tested them) I just didn't like the way they fit and I ended up taking them back and going with scent blocker.

Yeah I think I'm going to have to try both before I commit to buying.  Just curious since you tried them both, I know they are full season...are they warm enough for late season (Dec-Jan) hunts..or would you need to do some extra layering?  Are they too warm for early season (Sep-Oct)?  Thanks for the feedback Goose

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:03 am

DeanoZ, as a cost saving measure, I only use mine as an outer layer. I but the thin, uninsulated stuff and I always try to get it one or two sizes too big. Then I cover everything else up with it.

It goes without saying that every layer is washed in scent free soap, stored in a rubber tote and only goes on before I head to the stand.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks JPH...sounds like a plan!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:55 am

Side to side the dream season suit was warmer than the full season. I wear mine all year long here in WI. From 70 degrees in Sept.(wear tshirt to stand then cool down and put it on) to -10 in Dec.
Like JPH said in the cooler months I layer up under the scentblocker.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators