What kind of knife do you have?

fasteddie

RE: What kind of knife do you have?

Postby fasteddie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Ka-Bar with a 4" fixed blade that I have had for at least 40 years ......... I carry it in my backpack . It would kill me to lose that knife !
Semper Fi !

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:35 pm

I have the swing blade from outdoor edge.  It worked great on the 2 deer I got this year.

joaxe

Postby joaxe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:41 am

I got a small Kershaw folder at Walmart for $10.  The blade was razor sharp and the knife is very Lansky-friendly.  should be good for field dressing if you've misplaced your main knife.

Joe

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:46 am

A folding gerber gator with gut hook. A small swiss army knife, I like that it has a 1.5" blade, and a folding fillet knife for the rear end work.
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

clfenimore

Postby clfenimore » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:59 am

[font=arial]I have used a Buck Crosslock for the past 10 plus years. My fist crosslock the older style had a locking issue so I bought a newer model to use and sent in my old one to buck. They sent me a brand new replacement so now I have two. When this knife is sharp it will hold an edge through field dressing and skinning several deer. Now since I have two I use one to field dress and the other to skin. [/font]

If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:41 am

I've used lots of knives on deer, but one I like for gutting is the folding Gerber Gator. The blade keeps an edge, and the handle is a rubbery material that fits my hand very well. It's very easy to control. The only small drawback is in cleaning it. The tallow from the deer tends to get into the checkering on the handle. Running it under hot water and using a brush takes care of that.

I have several knives from W.R. Case, and a C.R.K.T. that I like, among others. One I'd like to have is a Kingdom Knife. They're made in Vermont, and there might not be a better knife out there. On Thursday at the Eastern Sport & Outdoor Show in Harrisburg I met the guy who makes them. They're somewhat pricey (in the range of $300), but the quality is top notch. The steel (D2 in this case) and the tempering (a proprietary process in this case) are the big thing in a knife, but this brand also uses three angles on the edge. The website is www.kingdomknives.com. I'd hate to lose one of these!

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

SNIPERMAN

Postby SNIPERMAN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:08 am

I USE A CHRIS REEVES SEBENZA, GREAT KNIFE WELL BUILT HOLDS EDGE WELL,[8D][8D] WILL LAST A LIFETIME, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/ss21%20plain%20horizontal.jpg
Specifications blade material blade hardness blade length blade thickness overall length S30V Stainless Steel 58-59 RC 3.625" (92mm) 0.125" (3.175mm) 8.335" (212mm)

strampoline

Re: What kind of knife do you have?

Postby strampoline » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:12 am

I am not having some special kind of knife but yes for me its special. My knife can cut all small and big things and its long and strong. Knife are used for cutting vegetables, fruits, and other thing but my knife is having multipurpose use. My knife can cut and also it can easily pill vegetables and fruits.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:55 pm

I carry too many knives when I hunt. I have a Gerber pocket tool that never leaves my belt, a Kershaw Blade Trader with a skinning blade, a fleshing blade with a gut hook, and a saw blade all in one sheath (in my pack), and a beautiful fixed blade sheath knife with a gut hook for my belt. I should go lighter wieght, but they each excel at what they do best.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:50 pm

WAY too many knives....carry a swingblade in my pack, best field dressing knife I've ever used. Have a "bunch" of Knives of Alaska I use in skinning and butchering; really sharp and hold an edge. Also have a first generation SOG Stingray & Tomcat for fun.

PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Accessories