Primos Buck Roar

Patriot

RE: Primos Buck Roar

Postby Patriot » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up Demoderby.  I'll take that into consideration when I get my next call.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:58 pm

I was sitting in my stand one night and decided to give this call a try since I hadnt seen anything. I tried some grunts...nothing...so I did the growl, all of a sudden I hear all this crashing and Im like holy cow this is going to work for me like it does on tv! just 2 squirrels chasing eachother[:@][&o]

I do like the way this calls sounds though.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:54 pm

No problem Patriot, glad to help if i can! I know that feeling reeper [:@] My heart drops to the floor when i hear a few leaves being ruffled, even if its just squirrels gotta love that feeling!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:00 am

I agree sometimes when the hunting is really slooooowwwwww, it is the stupid squirrels creating the noise and causing that dump of adrenaline that keeps me out there.

I even brought out a few practice arrows a couple of times to "hunt" some of the squirrels in the down time. I decided against it, cause I know as soon as I start messing around witht he dumb old squirrels that is when the 10 pt bruiser will walk in and bust me trying to poke a squirrel. I just know it!
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:44 am

I got the draw on a squirrel last year.  I was in my ground blind and he was on a branch about 3 yards away.  I decided not to risk breaking / losing my arrow.

Sorry to derail the Buck Roar conversation.[8D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:46 pm

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

I agree sometimes when the hunting is really slooooowwwwww, it is the stupid squirrels creating the noise and causing that dump of adrenaline that keeps me out there.

I even brought out a few practice arrows a couple of times to "hunt" some of the squirrels in the down time. I decided against it, cause I know as soon as I start messing around witht he dumb old squirrels that is when the 10 pt bruiser will walk in and bust me trying to poke a squirrel. I just know it!

I did this one time when I was in high school hunting on a buddies farm, wasn't seeing anything and I had a field tipped arrow with me so I slung an arrow at him and sure enough pinned is butt to the ground.  The only problem being it didn't kill him so there I sit up in my treestand and this squirrel down there thrashing around and screaching.  You think they make alot of noise when there rustling in the leaves, try sticking one with an arrow.  Needless to say that hunt was over, never again did I even get the urge to shoot a squirrel with my bow.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:03 pm

I bought and had the opportunity to use the Buck Roar this past season.  In the beginning I would do roars in combination with tending grunts and snort wheezes.  I never got a deer to come in on a roar so I stopped doing them.  As a matter of fact I recall a nice buck I had seen about 100 yrds away traveling away from me and I threw everything at him to include roars trying to get him to come too me or at least stop and had no response.  On another occasion a buck came within 10 yrds of my stand and then looked up and busted me...he ran off, I quickly gave a few grunts and he stopped, but was too far away for a shot.  I found the snort wheeze feature of the Buck Roar is especially useful and from my experience effective.  In the last half hour of my last hunt of the season (and it was late season), I had not seen a thing so I threw out a couple series of grunts followed by snort wheezes and 15 mintues later a fork horn literally jumped into a clearing just outside of range. 

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:18 pm

I used the buck roar in the 2007 and 2008 seasons... In 07 I called in my biggest buck (162 gross) with an aggresive sequence on Nov 16. In 08 on Nov 10th, I didn't get a buck, but I called in two young bucks with grunts and wheezes. The two young guys came in close and gave me a great show before running off scared. A BIG 8 pointer appeared about 50 yards away, snorting and grunting and raising hell while looking for the party. I couldnt coax him closer and 50 is alittle too far for me so I had to watch him walk, but I was impressed with the response to the Buck Roar

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 am

Vambo, just curious what the "aggressive" sequence was?  I'm always looking for new ways to employ the Buck Roar...oh and I also wanted to add to my previous post...I've foudn doing the actual "roar" has netted ZERO for me in terms of calling in deer...tending grunts and slow longer toned ones seem to work.

riadkill0724

Postby riadkill0724 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:08 pm

I saw the same 3 does for 2 days or so when I saw a and missed a buck the 3 day at 8 am and didnt see any more deer till about 3 :30 when i saw the 3 does again that afternoon thay were (hot does )stayed around for 10 min or so and went back into the swamp and stood there still for 15 min ,not moveing, so I use the Buck Roar , the hot doe ,lt took her 5 min but she came back out of the swamp and about 20 yards out onto the field wiggle her tail for anrother 10 min 's and was not shy about it eather then went back to the swamp . I like my Primos calls. ... Ps I found out the buck was killed on the outher side of the swamp about 2:45pm. Road

PreviousNext

Return to Calls