Apple-scented shampoo?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
coach

RE: Apple-scented shampoo?

Postby coach » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:52 am

BTW Coach, you cannot agree with me and Woods Walker at the same time. It is against the forum rules.

When I hunt with a rifle I'm not as concern.....I did say AS CONCERN.....about smell.
Its a hunting camp 5 hours from home....22 kms from the nearest road.  We heat with a woodstove cause there is no electricity.  Shower is once every two day cause there is no running water.  Unless you killed and need to wash. We freshen up every morning with a cloth, but its not enough.  Your socks...hair...goatie...finernails...you smell smoke.  Regardless of how cautious you are...there is 8 guys in a small hunt camp.  But that's why our treestand are as far from deer trails as possible. (80-90 yrds with wind in our favor)  Want to see big bucks....we have plenty.  We are trying to adjust our stands and blinds at a far distance to try and compensate for what seems to be an impossible scent illemination task.  Seems to be working.

I'm a bigger shotgun, riffle and muzzle hunter then Bowhunting. But dont' get me wrong I bowhunt.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

donna

Postby donna » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:42 am

For all those who truly believe in hunting scent-free, here's a product most don't know about. Get online or go to a health food store and buy an all natural product called soapnuts. Make a liquid out of it and wash your hunting clothes (and towel) in it. They will have absolutely no odor what-so-ever. It also helps reduce static cling. You can use it on your body and hair too. If you read the ingredients on those scent-free shampoos and laundry soaps, they are loaded with unnatural chemicals that give off scent. Our noses don't smell it, but of course animals with more sensitive noses will pick it up. I think it also makes a lot of sense after washing clothes to pack them away with a little natural material (leaves, twigs, acorns, dirt) from the area where you hunt for a few days before the hunt.
Here is a link to read about soapnuts. I have no connection to this company except I buy soapnuts from them. They are wonderful!! They are the best thing too for anyone suffering irritation like dermatitis or eczema. For those that want to try it, let me know and I'll tell you how I make soapnuts into a liquid.

http://www.naturoli.com/soapnuts/how.html

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:13 am

Interesting Donna...would like to hear more about it and how you convert it into liquid form?

donna

Postby donna » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:27 pm

First of all, you gotta get a hold of soapnuts. That Naturoli website I posted a link to in an earlier post sells them very cheap. You can buy a 5 load sampler for under 3.00 or 40 loads for 9.00. Unused soapnuts will not expire. If you wash your clothes in warm or hot water, all you do is throw the soapnuts in the included muslin bag and throw them in with your clothes. I personally prefer liquid.

I boil 4 cups of water then take 7-8 soapnuts and break them in half and put them in the boiling water. Turn down heat to a simmer. Simmer for one hour then take soapnuts out and mash them up. Simmer for additional 15 minutes. Let cool. Remove pulp. That's it!! I use 1/4 cup per load. If you will not use within 3-5 days you can freeze them in ice cube trays.  2 soap ice cubes will do one load of laundry.  The soapnuts have a vinegary smell that gets a little stronger when simmering but this odor will not remain through laundry. When clothes are dry after washing with soapnuts, there will be no smell or scent at all!! It is the only product I use for all my laundry. It will not work on greasy grime though...for that a person needs to add borax or oxy-clean with the soapnuts.

Since it is very watery, you may want to add to a washcloth for body soap.

Soapnuts can be used to clean anything!! You can also buy powdered soapnuts from this company. Powdered can be used in the laundry as well as the body. I have personally never used it on my hair so I cannot say what it will do for sure! I have used other all natural soaps. They may work great on very short hair, but mine is very long and very thick. When I wash it with all natural products, I cannot get a comb thru it.

Soapnuts cannot be ingested so keep away from pets!

Soap Nuts are the only true 100% natural detergent. They can be used to replace virtually all household cleaners. Eco-friendly, hypoallergenic, biodegradable, anti-fungal, antimicrobial, unscented, effective yet gentle. Amazing!

ramsay12344

Postby ramsay12344 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:52 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"]Wack: What your post shows is that while camo, scent-loc, cover scents, lures, and the like are great "magic feathers", the truth is YOU DON'T NEED THEM TO KILL A DEER.[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]They help, but people have been killing deer for eons without them just fine....to the point of damn near exterminating them in some areas![/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]Watch the wind, don't shine, and don't move. You'll do just fine.......[;)][/size]

It seems that youre assuming people from eons ago almost eliminated species but didnt use camo or scent coverings, etc to accomplish that. 

Think about it this way...a caveman STINKS most of the time(Im assuming because of the lack of convenient running water, wouldnt you agree?), I imagine they WOULD use a scent covering...unless youre assuming the cavemen are idiots. It may not be what you buy from the store, it may be free and easy to reproduce instead.

I also find it hard to believe that cavemen who relied on food /tools from animal bodies to survive would not think of the concept of camo. I mean what do you think those wolf heads people wear on their heads are for?

So yea, you can hunt without camo or scent coverings, but to say people without camo or scent coverings almost eliminated species is a little far fetched(for me).

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:59 am

ramsay do honestly believe cavemen had any concept of being scent FREE while hunting!!

And if do please explain why! because this could get real good quick...

BTW Welcome D&DH

Previous

Return to Best Practices