A good Valentines Day spent hunting in the Briar Patch

passin through

A good Valentines Day spent hunting in the Briar Patch

Postby passin through » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:44 am

Thought I would share some pics of our Bunny Hunt from Saturday.  This is only the 3rd rabbit hunt with dogs I have ever been on but it is very addictive.  Saturday our total came out to 14 total .....we had 3 swampers and 11 cotton tails.  The cotton tail races were lots shorter and we did really well right at the start; with 5 down in the first hour.  Then we got on swampers and it took about an hour apiece to get those 3.  After that we were pretty tired so we moved back towards the trucks and finished out the day within sight of the parking area chasing cotton tail.  This is a really cool way to spend Saturdays in February!  & now I have the main ingredient to try out Smoothbore's rabbit recipe in the recipe thread!  Although it will have to go a long way to beat Sunday mornings breakfast: fried cottontail, gravy, with biscuits and honey.

coach

RE: A good Valentines Day spent hunting in the Briar Patch

Postby coach » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:27 pm

Wow, brings back memories for me.
Went on quite a few Wabbits Hunt with a beagle.
It was awsome.
Looks like you had nice weather for it too.

Good man, I love nice pics like that'

Your Valentines Day was better than mine.  My 2 year old had fever of 104 F.
She's all good now.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:09 am

What a way to spend Valentines Day, that's alot of rabbits.  If I can get a couple I consider it a good day, that's a seasons worth for me.  
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:48 pm

We were all kind of surprised at the number we found there (that makes 20 from the same little 10 acre area in two hunts)  But nobody on our lease hunts rabbits at all except maybe toward the end of season they'll take a 22 to the stand or something and pot shoot.  I may go one more time and try to stalk hunt with a bow or something but I've killed two hunting with those guys and one with my bow so I'm nearing freezer capacity on wabbit since the wife doesn't eat them and I only want to eat a couple more myself.  I will say this though that guys dogs are phenomenal!  I have heard the deer proof brag all my life from wabbit hunters who wanted to come up and hunt and the shear number of deer here have put that to falsehood.  This guys old beagles jumped up several deer and never let up on the rabbits they were behind.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:01 am

That's awesome. Haven't done it in a while but rabbit hunting with dogs is one of the funnest hunts to do.

Woody

Postby Woody » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:20 am

Great pics, looks like fun. Reading this post brought back some good memories. Used to do alot of rabbit hunting when I was younger. Never hunted with dogs just walking around kicking the brush. The pic is of a rabbit hunt with myself and a buddy.(1999). Also had some fun shootin some pigeons as well on this day..............Good Times!

When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Return to Louisiana