Turnips

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Goose

RE: Turnips

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:43 am

Nice looking plots MS!!!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:58 am

very nice plots! Thanks for the tips, i really appreciate it! 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:17 am

Nice plots!
QDM!

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Hey Demoderby,

And I guess this would apply to you as well Reeper given the other thread in here with you and Goose. One thing that I really learned about brassicas, is that you should plant enough of them. If you have a healthy deer herd in your area, they will wipe out a plot of brassicas in no time at all. One of my plots is three quarter acres in size, planted with brassicas. After a couple of good hard frosts when the deer really start using it, they have it mowed down in a couple of weeks. So if you do plant a smaller plot of brassicas, keep a close eye on it when it gets cold or you could miss it all together.

Good luck guys.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Northern VT ...maybe quite correct on this point...It's not a problem with mine because as I said I have 12 sm. plots with trails leading in an out of them in a long connection of sorts ...totaling 3-4 acres...with a variety of eats...they are also lined with brambles and scatterings of apples...dogwood...cherry... pear..trees ect...all limed and thus sweetened up to their taste...an all around management stratagey I use

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:02 pm

A buddy had a brassica plot planted last year that was probably 1/2 acre in size and it came up good. Same thing happened to him, the deer where using it lightly then when he went out there a week later (after a hard frost) the whole field was wiped out to the ground.
Kinda neat but it also kinda sucked!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:16 am

Hey MSbadger. You do things the right way. I have always said that there is no substitute for natural browse and mast crop. Deer will prefer that over any food plot every day of the week.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks for the tip VT, when we do plant it, it will most likely be a late season plot and we'll hunt it accordingly, i have read that deer really wont hit it hard until the cold/frost in most cases. We kinda have the set up of where we want to plant stuff, just have to do a little more scouting. I'm hoping to get out and do some scouting this saturday if the snow fall isn't too much, that way i can mark some trees and start to get ready to set up some stands for next season within the next couple months. And to put out the new Trail Cam!! Got a new D40 for 80 bucks shipped last week.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Sounds like you are right on top of things Demo. I wish I was that far along right now, but work just won't let me get away that much. By the way, were did you get the D40 from? I have been researching them for a while now. Want to buy a couple.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:59 pm

ORIGINAL: northernVT

By the way, were did you get the D40 from? I have been researching them for a while now. Want to buy a couple.

I got one of mine out of cabelas on sale for like $69? last year and it was 80ish with shipping if I recall correctly. For the price of this camera and what it does(my other one was $100) you cant beat it
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management