On-line Gun auctions-good/bad?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Wolf River Hunter

On-line Gun auctions-good/bad?

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:02 am

Thinking about buying a gun via the internet. Anyone have any experiences they can share? Leaning toward a site like gunbrokers.com as opposed to private party. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

OHhunter

RE: On-line Gun auctions-good/bad?

Postby OHhunter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:49 am

Haven't yet let me know how it works for you, I've been looking on Guns America.  Haven't got up the nerve to buy anything yet.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:59 pm

ORIGINAL: Wolf River Hunter

Thinking about buying a gun via the internet. Anyone have any experiences they can share? Leaning toward a site like gunbrokers.com as opposed to private party. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not aware of any online source for private party firearms transactions. Although I have not done anything on GunBroker.com, I've visited the site a few times and it seems to be a good site. It has done a ton of business since eBay has stopped auctions for any gun-related part that makes a gun go "bang." No triggers, barrels, bolts, etc. I don't even think they allow you to buy/sell inert metal items in the shape of brass or bullets.

One extra benefit of GunBroker.com. I met them at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg last week, and they gave me a free drink koozie. It fits my GPS perfectly as a carrying case. [:D]

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Mr. B is very leary of the internet ....that being said he researched and watched then just in the last couple of weeks he's bought hand guns and 2 long guns a bolt action shot gun and an M-1(?)....he figured in the ffl's transfer fees and shipping fees when he decided on the bids to make....Gotta tell ya he got some fine looking and shooting fire arms....made sure he read all sellers reviews as well...good luck

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:15 pm

What kind of bolt action shotgun did he get? That is what I'm thinking about trying to buy. Maybe a Savage 210 if I can find one. I can get practically any pump or semi around town but the bolt actions are hard to come by.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:52 am

WRH...it's a JC Higgins...Mr. B said don't laugh..... for it was made by High Standards...It actually looks brand new and shoots straight...tube fed not clip

wack

Postby wack » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:54 am

I would never buy a used gun online and a new gun I would try to find a WI. FFL dealer to avoid the hassle and expense of interstate sales. To buy from an out of state dealer, that dealer has to send the gun to a WI. FFL dealer. Each state has it's own fee for this and each dealer involved charges a fee. The WI fee is $35. I went with  a friend to pick up his gun he ordered from a dealer in ILL. and it cost him $75 in shipping and FFL fees. The savings could be enough for a nice "tricked out name tag" or a big box of ammo. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

federali

Postby federali » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 am

I've bought several handguns through gunbroker.com without incident. I've also sold a few guns without any problems. But, I did buy a Savage 99 through gunbroker that was badly represented or described. Someone had monkied with the internals to the point that it would not feed. Add $200.00 in gunsmithing fees to get it to cycle. Since then, I'm reluctant to buy a gun without seeing it. However, in most instances we buy used guns on good faith that they will work when we try them. Most times we don't have the opportunity to run a few shells through the gun prior to consummating the sale.

MN Ruger Hunter

Postby MN Ruger Hunter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:26 am

I registered on gunbroker.com a few months ago & got a good deal on a left-hand Ruger M77 .270,the gun was in great shape w/rings.I paid 450.00 for the gun,15.00 shipping,20.00 transfer fee.I stayed away from private sellers & stuck with dealers who had good feedback.I can't find any lefty guns in Southern Minnesota so it was worth the effort.I just had to get a copy of my local dealers FFL & email it to the seller,they mail the gun to the dealer.No problem,I just had to pick it up & fill out the paper work.You have to figure in 40-50 dollars for shipping & transferring.So it doesn't pay for cheaper or more common guns that you can get at a local shop or show.It's good if your looking for something special especially used guns.

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:56 am

My first experience was a success. I found the gun I was looking for and got lucky in that I found a guy within 20 miles of my house selling one. I got the gun $40 cheaper than I would have from Gaunder and as a bonus he sold me a Nikon scope $10 over his cost or about $50 cheaper than Scheels.

I must have gone to 15 sports shops and noticed their used gun inventories were way down. I finally asked the gun manager why no inventory and he told me they sell most of their stuff on gunbrokers.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo