sqrew in steps

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
hunter480

RE: sqrew in steps

Postby hunter480 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:57 am

the screw-in steps are illegle on state properties for a reason. Why would you think they cause no harm to the tree? Sure the tree woll grow around them, actually ansorb them over time, but it still causes injury to the tree, can weaken it, and lead to disease and eventually irreversible damage.

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:56 am

because they do not go in deep and the core of the tree is not touched and of all the trees i have steps in not one has show any sign of weakness other then what the seasonal weather has done.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:50 am

I'm no biologist or expert on trees, but I do know we've been tapping maple trees for syrup for over a century, year after year and that does not seem to harm the trees...I dunno does not seem logical that screw steps would cause any greater damage or any damage at all.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:01 am

I would agree, I have used screw in tree steps since I began hunting 15yrs ago. I have never seen any damage or tree disease caused by one. They only thing they leave is a small hole.

I also just screw them in by hand. I find using these tree steps allows me to place my tree stand in just about any tree I want. I do not need to a have a strait tree or one with minimal branches sticking out, I can even get up into those big round maples and oaks that otherwise might be to large for straps to fit around. Personally I love the freedom I have to get into that one tree that you know is the magic spot.

bubbalp

Postby bubbalp » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:34 am

I have srew in steps in the same tree for threee years and not a problem one, i did go to that tree Nov 1st and killed a 12 pt and 8 pt in 14 minutes. Neither one of them heard me make a sound. In Va we can use them on your own land or if the owner ok's it..Just use a safety harness. I teach Hunter Ed and that is the hardest subject to teach when it can be prevented...Good Hunting..BubbaLP

stickslingerd

Postby stickslingerd » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 am

Another reason may be logging.  nothing worse than running a tree step thru a chain saw or even worse a head saw.  It effects the tree cost if the state ever decides to sell timber. 
I've seen trees where the tree has completely grown around them and maybe an inch sticking out... it's funny to see. 
I still use them on our lease.  It's just so nice to take nothing but your stand in.  To install them i use a heavy metal cylinder with a spike on the end.. one thud and your starter hole is there.  makes it quick and easy.
Hunt hard, hunt often... today may be the day.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:28 pm

What stickslingered said ......Nothing worse than hitting a spike , treestep or other metal with a chainsaw . It's a good way to cause a trip to the hospital .
My son uses the screw in steps on his property .
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:46 pm

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

I'm no biologist or expert on trees, but I do know we've been tapping maple trees for syrup for over a century, year after year and that does not seem to harm the trees...I dunno does not seem logical that screw steps would cause any greater damage or any damage at all.

Nice Deanoz. We make maple syrup on our property, not nearly as long as you have, but using the same trees year after year just drilling new holes does not seem to harm if from what I have seen.

As for ruining saw chains and blades, the Rod and Gun club I am a member of took out some trees and the old armor piercing bullets people used to shoot did quite a number on the blades and chains.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

REF

Postby REF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 pm

I can say first hand ,cutting a nail or screw on a headsaw does not make my day go well [:@]  most times you have to put new teeth in .. words from a sawyer 
Its not a dumb question if you don't know the answer

Rob

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 pm

We have state and federal foresters and the public lands are logged...on occation......the timber prices drop a great deal....say comparing a graded log verses a veneer log...rough example would be 79cents a board foot compared to 3.79 a board foot...its also cause disease to be spread from one tree to another...I doubt and assume.... public land foresters do as well .....guys don't steralize their steps each time....maple farmers actually do clean their taps

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands