Fast (but maybe unwise) action by Congress

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Everyday Hunter

Fast (but maybe unwise) action by Congress

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 am

Congress has taken fast action in response to last week's attack on a woman by a pet chimpanzee. It seems that the HSUS, having recently created a caucus in Congress on animal rights, has made fast use of it. What's notable to me is that every statement the HSUS has made could be argued for the banning of canines, felines, birds and fish on the exact same basis. Substitute any of those for "primate," and substitute dogs, cats, parakeets or Siamese fighting fish for "chimps" and all pets can be banned. This puts the nose of the camel under the tent. Next time a dog bites a mailman, look for a repeat. Then comes livestock, and not far behind is an accelerated attempt to ban hunting. Here's the news item:

[size="4"]Fast action on the Hill[/size] Forget the stimulus -- this one moved really fast.
From the Humane Society:
U.S. House of Representatives Passes Captive Primate Safety Act

WASHINGTON (Feb. 24, 2009) - Eight days after a chimpanzee kept as a pet attacked and critically injured a Connecticut woman, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Captive Primate Safety Act, H.R. 80, introduced by U.S. Reps. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., and Mark Kirk, R-Ill., to stop interstate commerce in primates as pets. The bill passed by a vote of 323 to 95. The bill now moves for consideration to the U.S. Senate, where the effort to pass the legislation is being led by U.S. Sens. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and David Vitter, R-La.

The Humane Society of the United States and the Humane Society Legislative Fund expressed thanks and appreciation to Reps. Blumenauer and Kirk for introducing the bill, and to Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife Subcommittee Chairwoman Madeleine Bordallo, D-Guam, and Natural Resources Committee Chairman Nick Rahall, D-W.V., for their leadership in bringing the measure to the House floor so expeditiously.

"There is no reason for any private citizen to keep a primate as a pet, and this trade is driven by unscrupulous dealers who sell primates across state lines for thousands of dollars," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The HSUS. "Congressional action on this animal welfare and public safety issue will complement our efforts at the state level to dry up the trade and the practice of private ownership of chimps and other primates."

"As the tragic attack in Connecticut shows us, The Captive Primate Safety Act is necessary, common-sense legislation for the welfare of humans and animals," said Rep. Blumenauer. "Make no mistake, this bill will protect communities and ensure the humane treatment of these animals. The passage of this bill is long overdue; I salute The Humane Society of the United States and animal welfare advocates for their consistent dedication and I am pleased that together we were able to pass this bill."

Rep. Kirk said, "It is inhumane to cage primates in private homes. Besides the animal cruelty concerns, the interstate movement of pet primates creates serious public health and safety risks. The Captive Primate Safety Act takes important steps to address these concerns."

While I have no desire to have a primate as a pet, I don't think this is good news for pet owners in general, and in the long run not good for the wildlife hunters support (which includes much more than game species.)

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

paulie

RE: Fast (but maybe unwise) action by Congress

Postby paulie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 am

Its funny that they (hsus) act so fast after this tragedy, but where the hell are they when someone gets mauled or killed by a bear? Or when some poor child gets carried off by a couger (mountain lion, puma, whatever you want to call it)? IMO (and its just that "my opinion") these folks dont give a s**t about the woman who got mauled by that chimp(or any other human being for that matter), they saw a chance to further their agenda and, they jumped on it! I hear what your sayin EH, and the scary thing is, you may be right!!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:34 pm

ORIGINAL: paulie

Its funny that they (hsus) act so fast after this tragedy, but where the hell are they when someone gets mauled or killed by a bear? Or when some poor child gets carried off by a couger (mountain lion, puma, whatever you want to call it)? IMO (and its just that "my opinion") these folks dont give a s**t about the woman who got mauled by that chimp(or any other human being for that matter), they saw a chance to further their agenda and, they jumped on it! I hear what your sayin EH, and the scary thing is, you may be right!!
you nailed it on the head they dont care about anything but the agenda[:@]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:05 pm

As much as I believe that keeping large primates captive is a job for experts with special facilities, and that people who keep them who are unprepared or just plain irresponsible and ignorant like this woman was should be held responsible for all damages, I also hesitate to back ANYTHING that the HSUS would promote.

I have horses. With that ownership also comes a LOT of responsibilities, both to the animal itself, AND to my neighbors. We are talking about an animal here that weighs on the average between 900 to 1200 pounds. Believe me, if they decide that they DON'T want to do what you want them to, THEY DON'T HAVE TO! 

Where I live, the only caveats that the county puts on horse owners is that you must have "X" acres of land to have one, and you can't have more than 4 unless you have more than "X" acres. This restriction is fair and just, IMO, for both my neighbors AND the horses.

Point is, with a horse there is potential for unpleasant events, but most horse owners ARE responsible people, and the problems are minimal. I would hate to see a bill like the one above with the word "HORSES" substituted for "PRIMATES".
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:58 am

HSUS is anti zoo, anti animal testing, anti meat and anti human. Enough said

Return to Off Topic