daily thread 02/24/09

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
REF

daily thread 02/24/09

Postby REF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:55 pm

was wondering if anyone did any shed hunting or got out today for a walk in the woods  .... I did get out yesterday seen 25 -30 deer where my dad is cutting wood and they looked like they were in good shape ... couple weeks  ago the wolves got one ... I'd like to hear whats happening in your neck of the woods
Its not a dumb question if you don't know the answer

Rob

Woods Walker

RE: daily thread 02/24/09

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Here in northern Illinois, I don't go looking for sheds until the beginning of March. We were seeing antlered deer as recent as a week ago. We've also had a lot of persistant snow cover this year, and as I like to combine my shed hunting with one of my "bowhikes" (that's were I take my recurve and a handfull of Judo points for some "exercise"), I'd also like to wait until much of the snow is gone also.

I hope that's pretty soon too!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Went out to put a trail cam out yesterday (Im located in SE Michigan, St. Clair County) and there is a house that has about 8 deer penned in on the way their, the bucks still had their antlers, and i didn't see any sheds when i was walking to put it out, but i didn't really do a good through check i had to get to archery league, but it was nice to get out there and walk around some without 9 inches on snow on the ground lol!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey Demoderby4, I see you were looking at captive deer and said they still have their antlers on.  The captive deer will likely keep their antlers almost until they start growing new ones because they're is minimal stress on them because food is readily available.  I am pretty sure most if no all of the deer in the michigan area have dropped them because I havent seen an antlered deer for almost a month now, and every weekend I drive past a field that usually has between 10-40 deer in it.  Good luck finding some sheds!  Let us know if you find any.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Reflex

Thanks for the info, i wasn't sure if them being penned in would make a difference, i thought about writing something about it, but obviously i didnt lol! Thanks again though, next time im out there for an extended period of time i def plan on looking, and i'll let you guys know how it goes!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

REF

Postby REF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm

thanks for posting .... I hope to go out again this weekend ..more time for it now that hockey season is over  ... take my kids and get some  close up pics .. its fun to see how close they come lol  within 10 feet on monday  ... darn camera makes too much noise 

Its not a dumb question if you don't know the answer

Rob

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:22 am

Here in WI I think it's safe to say 90% have dropped.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:56 am

All the years I've looked ...never found one shed...several heads with nice racks attached...but no sheds....One fall bow season I watched a squirrel pull the remains of what must have been a very big shed out from under a log next to my tree...he nawed on it a bit and stuffed it back.....I thought geez for that to have lasted all spring ..summer and still around in fall it had to have been huge...or that little booger had the other one stashed too...lol......figure thats probly what happens to most

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:20 am

Wow! I've always pictured squirrels eating them where they find them. I never thought of squirrels hiding them, but now that you've mentioned it yes, it really makes sense. Porcupines are also huge consumers of shed antlers, and will take them back to their den tree. Whenever you find a porkie's den (a tree or under a rock ledge, obvious by a big pile of droppings), look around for remnants of shed antlers.

Thanks for this post.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:04 pm

I've been walking around my house, and I haven't found any.  Tho, I dont specifically look the entire walk.

Next

Return to Off Topic