Best Movie Or Scene With Hunting Theme

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

Best Movie Or Scene With Hunting Theme

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Obviously, "Jeremiah Johnson" will be at the top of the list, as will "The Ghost And The Darkness".

But the old film "Out Of Africa" had a lion hunting scene, where they stumble upon a pride of lions on a kill in some cover. Redford's character Denis Finch-Haddon and Meryl Streep's character Isak Dennison attempt to back out, but the wind shifts and the lions charge. From the moment of the charge the film is in slow motion, just like what seems to happen in real life when you are in a high stress dangerous situation where you have to react quickly.

My wife and I saw it in a theater on the with the bigscreen/sound and this scene REALLY got to me.  I experienced an adrenelin rush, and had goose bumps!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

passin through

RE: Best Movie Or Scene With Hunting Theme

Postby passin through » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:37 pm

After those two Woods mentioned my Favorite hunting related movie would be "Where the Red Fern Grows".  Favorite scene.......Off the top of my head right now.... the final scene in Legends of the Fall where the old feller confronts the griz one more time.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm

dances with wolves ,the buffalo hunt was awesome
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 am

I am Legend in the car, around the cars, through the city, etc
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:32 am

All great movies.

I like the lighter side. Escanaba in da Moonlight where he is talking with his dead grandfather. "Just shoot da buck Rueben". [:D]
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:26 am

Definitely NOT "The Deer Hunter" (1978, Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep.) Despite the fact that it won 5 Oscars and 5 Academy awards, this movie was set in western Pennsylvania, but none of the hunting scenes looked like anywhere in Pennsylvania, and none of the deer were whitetails. Of the 19 "Goofs" listed in the IMDB description of the movie, here are the ones that are most glaring to a real deer hunter:

[ul][*]Errors in geography: The hunting scenes supposedly taking place in the Appalachian Range are obviously filmed elsewhere: The Appalachians are a smooth rolling range, but the scenes show towering, jagged peaks. The scenes were filmed in the Cascade Range, clear across the country.[*]Factual errors: The deer hunted in Pennsylvania are white tail deer. The animal in the movie is a Red Stag.[*]Errors in geography: While hunting in Pennsylvania, glaciated mountain peaks which do not exist in Pennsylvania are visible.[/ul]
One more worth mentioning...
[ul][*]Anachronisms: It's set in 1968. In one bar room scene, "Good Hearted Woman" by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson was played but it wasn't recorded until 1974.[/ul]So, please, I'll appreciate it if no one says "The Deer Hunter." But a good movie with that title should be made.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Off Topic