Googily and his stages of antler developement

don

Googily and his stages of antler developement

Postby don » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Some may remember Googily as the winner of the 2009 Best trailcam picture competition and from the latest D&DH e-newsletter. This is a sequence of summer 2009 trailcam pics showing how he started, developed, and eventualy earned the name, "Googily". The date timeline is displayed on each pic........don

I update my trailcam pics weekly when possible. Here is a link to some of my best pics. Pick an album cover. When the pics load, use the slideshow button over the first pic.
http://picasaweb.google.com/michiganbowbender

don

RE: Googily and his stages of antler developement

Postby don » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:21 pm

This picture should have also been included.......
I update my trailcam pics weekly when possible. Here is a link to some of my best pics. Pick an album cover. When the pics load, use the slideshow button over the first pic.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Don that is very cool.  Not to many people can watch a buck grow like that on there camera.  That deer is something special and I really hope you get a shot at him.  Do you know how old he might be?
Scott

don

Postby don » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:31 pm

I find it pretty hard to judge age at this time of the year. He will look entirely different in another month or so. I feel he is still a young animal. If I had to make a guess it would be 3 1/2 at most, with 2 1/2 not being out of the question as unlikely as it might sound.

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Great post Don. Googily sure did a lot of growing during July. Will you pass him this year? What do you think he scores? I'm thinking about 180 - 190.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:48 pm

Very nice deer, as I've stated before.  I'm guessing he's 3.5 by his body...If you just looked at his rack you could guess higher, but he's still 'thin' yet and hasn't bulked up. 

I'd take him in a heartbeat...Good luck with him this coming season!
QDM!

don

Postby don » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 pm

I hunt the area only with a bow. If a scenario developed and the distance and shot angle were to my liking, he more than likely would be in serious trouble. But, if I were guaranteed a 50% chance he would survive the gun season, I would take that chance and let him walk. As far as score, I think 170's gross should be in the ballpark. I would like another closeup similar to the Aug 1st pic to see if the nontypical stuff developed any further.

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:34 am

Not sure if you already posted this info, but what kind of trail cam or cams do you use...your pictures are clear and sharp?

Also, if you wouldnt mind sharing, what kind of attractant do you use to get the deer to pause by the camera?  Alot of those areas where the deer are standing look black or at least dark in color and deer seem to love being there?

I looked at your albums posted on google.....looks like you have a wild horse problem too...lol

Good luck on see that big stud this fall!
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

don

Postby don » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:34 am

Thank you Bill
The trailcams are homemade using Sony digital cameras as a base, with a controller board and enclosed in a waterproof case. They are commonly referred to as "homebrews". I did not build mine, there is a community of people out there who build and sell them as a hobby, usually very reasonable in price as compared to commercial units.

We are under a mineral/bait ban here in the lower peninsula of Michigan and have been for a year now, so no salt/minerals etc. are allowed. As unlikely as it may sound, I simply urinate in front of each cam after I place them. It may sound contrary to what you have always heard, but it works for me.....[;)]

The neighbors have horses and wander on and off their property and have for several years. The deer are pretty accustomed to them so it's no problem. Their activity will soon cease as they are aware that I will be hunting come October.

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:55 am

Urinating in front of your trail camera. That is a very interesting concept that I will have to try.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras