Tree Climbing Spikes

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
DeanoZ

RE: Tree Climbing Spikes

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 am

I was actually looking for an easier way to get up the tree on the fly to hook into my tree saddle as opposed to:

1. Screw In Steps - Takes some time, especially if your trying to do it by hand..not all locations I hunt allow screw in steps

2. Using Climbing sticks or strap on ladders...way too bulky and don't want to carry those through the woods

3. Climber stands - Too noisy and only works on the fly with straight trees and no branches in the way

My thought initially was that with these climbing spikes I can climb up any tree (so long as I am in a harness, which I am) on the fly and with minimal noise.  I still have not ruled it out and if I can find someone who already has a pair I may give it a go...but everythign I've heard leads me to believe these are dangerous, awkward, and not as simple to use as l was intially lead to believe.  For now I'm using screw in steps, granted it takes me longer and I need to set these up ahead of time, but I think with practice I'll get quicker at it..the Saddle rocks though!

dukeriley

Postby dukeriley » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:01 am

I do not understand why you think they are so hard to use....There is a metal bar underneath your foot that you stand on and they are strapped to your leg.you jam the spike into the tree and up you go.no problem.if you are in any kind of shape and are not a couch potatoe. it is not any harder than climbing a ladder except you have a rope to contend with

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:10 am

ORIGINAL: dukeriley

I do not understand why you think they are so hard to use....There is a metal bar underneath your foot that you stand on and they are strapped to your leg.you jam the spike into the tree and up you go.no problem.if you are in any kind of shape and are not a couch potatoe. it is not any harder than climbing a ladder except you have a rope to contend with

To be frank,  I wouldn't know..I've never used them, but to clarify I never said they would be "hard" to use, I and others here questioned the"Safety" of using them.  Sounds like you have experience so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the safety aspect of using them..have you ever slipped, fallen, or had a bad experience with them..better still, do you have a pair you can lend me so i can find out for myself??? [;)]

dukeriley

Postby dukeriley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 am

like i said these things are safe if you use them properly.No I have never fallen or even slipped when i used them.they have a tapered spike so the harder you kick them into the tree the safer your next step will be.To expand on this you also need a saftey harness that supports you from your hips and a rope that can wrap around the tree,one thick enough to support you.Have you ever watched the lumberjacks on espn when they climb the tree if not i would bet my deer heads that there is a video on the internet somewhere.It truly is not harder than it looks.What I have a problem with is the damage it does to the tree.If you dont kuick it in properly then you have to do it again thats a lot of holes to put in a tree.Now dont forget to multiply that by two,you do have to come down.Now dont get me wrong I am not a tree hugger by any means.Itjust seems to me there other ways that do less damage.I am sure if you get caught in a state forest that you would be paying a fine for the use of these.Yes I do have a pair.used very little

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:48 pm

I use a climber, and will admit it can be a pain lugging it in or out in the dark if you can't clear your trails.  I don't have a problem with noise when attaching it/removing it, the cable types make attatchment a breeze, even in the dark, and I rarely see any damage to the tree other than some dents in the bark.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

dukeriley

Postby dukeriley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:57 pm

same as mine.I use a lone wolf climber it is quiet  but it is as clunkey as any other portable to put in a tree  ok well maybee not the tree lounge but it does not tear up the trees

dtsarborist

Postby dtsarborist » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:09 pm

Hello everyone, I work for Davey Tree Service as a climber so i know that climbing spikes are safe to use if properly used, have proper training and if a saddle is being used along with a good buckstrap and lead rope. They are not recomended to be used on trees that are not going to be cut down, as they can easily damage the bark of the tree as long as allowing openings for dieseses to enter the tree there for killing the tree. If you do choose to use spikes to climb with you are risking the trees health. also, If you are going to use them and do not have any or little experience with them i recommend finding a strait tree with very few limbs and not acsending no more then 10ft. above the ground till you get use to them. Just go up and down a few times and gradually start climbing higher as you gain a feeling for them and trust. Dont be over confident while climbing either. I have seen people fall and get hurt seriosly by being over confident with their equipment. For your purpose of hunting(as i am a hunter too) I would just recomend using a tree stand ladder. save the trees.  have a good day

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:02 am

ORIGINAL: dtsarborist

Hello everyone, I work for Davey Tree Service as a climber so i know that climbing spikes are safe to use if properly used, have proper training and if a saddle is being used along with a good buckstrap and lead rope. They are not recomended to be used on trees that are not going to be cut down, as they can easily damage the bark of the tree as long as allowing openings for dieseses to enter the tree there for killing the tree. If you do choose to use spikes to climb with you are risking the trees health. also, If you are going to use them and do not have any or little experience with them i recommend finding a strait tree with very few limbs and not acsending no more then 10ft. above the ground till you get use to them. Just go up and down a few times and gradually start climbing higher as you gain a feeling for them and trust. Dont be over confident while climbing either. I have seen people fall and get hurt seriosly by being over confident with their equipment. For your purpose of hunting(as i am a hunter too) I would just recomend using a tree stand ladder. save the trees.  have a good day.

I've never used climbing spikes, but I've wondered how they would work for deer hunting. This sounds like good advice to me.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

dtsarborist

Postby dtsarborist » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:39 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

ORIGINAL: dtsarborist

I've never used climbing spikes, but I've wondered how they would work for deer hunting. This sounds like good advice to me.

Steve

they would work great for setting your stand high in a tree but use them at your own risk.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:59 am

Well I bit the bullet and bought me a pair of sportclimbers.  I'll try them out this weekend and see how it goes.

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands