Rifle Cartridge Reloading

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
MSHunter

Rifle Cartridge Reloading

Postby MSHunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 am

I'm considering buy a reloading press and dies to do my own rifle cartridge reloading..
How many of you reload your own rifle cartridges?

Do you feel it is worth the expense?
Any in sights, pros or cons as related to this subject?

P.S. I apologize if this is a duplicate post. I searched this topic, but did not get any results.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

OHhunter

RE: Rifle Cartridge Reloading

Postby OHhunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:09 am

I had a very similiar question a while back here's the link to the thread

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=26153&mpage=1&key=?
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

John1961

Postby John1961 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:51 am

I blew up a damn good 243 pump trying ( with help ) to reload. Never again.....
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Everything now is so expensive. But is it worth it to start reloading? I feel it is.
I've been reloading both rifle and pistol cartridges since the late 1980's and enjoy it very much. There's nothing better working up various loads to see which shoots best in a particular gun.
Its also great knowing that the deer I've killed was shot using a bullet I put together. I also cast my own lead bullets which also adds to the experience of it all.
If you have the space to set it all up and the time to start learning this "hobby" do it!
If you have any specific questions about reloading ask away.. I'd be happy to answer as best I can.

John1961

Postby John1961 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:33 am

I had a nice 243 pump. Model 760 I think. Someone talked me into reloading. Happens there was a gun show in town. Spent I don't know how much on dies, powder primers and all that. Everything was new. Well with his guidence and KNOW HOW. I loaded two rounds. The first didn't go off. The second did and blew my rifle to hell with me holding it. The receiver looks like a pair, the bolt blown in two pieces grips scope and magizene also in pieces. Just after that over a cup of coffee he said if that was a bolt action you would surley be dead. That was me short lived reloading experience. I had no doubt its second nature to a lot of folks but I'm buying mine from then on.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:52 am

I know some people who reload, I have always wanted to get into it and learn how to do rifle, shotgun, and pistol. Every time I go to the store and watch the shell prices go up it makes me want to get into it that much more. I know I eventually will but I just cant afford the start up right now.

I dont know the first thing about reload (just basics), a question I wanted to ask was my cousin works with a guy who reloads his own shells. He doesnt use a scale to measure his powder. How bad is this? or does it work out the way people measure black powder? I know black powder isnt anywhere near the power of smokeless and didnt know if it being off a tiny bit would effect it largely or not. I know I could look it up on the internet but I figure I would ask on here and listen to people who's user name I know from being on the forum. Thanks alot.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:35 am

John,

Thanks for the feedback. Such concerns are definitely worth considering. Hopefully no one was hurt. deStyle Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:45 am

Reeper,

I agree with you. It is expensive to get started. From what research I've done online, there are powder measures available to use in lieu of a scale. I'm assuming they are based on volume, but I don't know if using them with black versus smokeless powder makes a difference.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Shadow.
Below is a list of items I've determined that I would need to get started based upon my research on the subject. I'm looking at trying my hand at .243 caliber bullets (not so sure after John1961's experience). Based upon the items below, can make any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your input.

Lee Ram Prime Lee Reloader Press Cutter and Lock Stud For Case Trimming Lee Chamfer Tool Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder - 243 Winchester Lee Powder Measure Kit Unbreakable Powder Funnel Rifle Die - 3 Die Set with Factory Crimp - 243 Winchester Lube and Size Kit - .243  

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:56 am

Check out lee's website sometimes they have kits with just about everything you mentioned with your choice of dies for a very reasonable price.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo