Where to stalk/still hunt.

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
AlleganBowhunter

Where to stalk/still hunt.

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Maybe this belongs somewhere else, but think the basis is grounded in Stillhunting/stalking.

How do you know where to stalk?  That doesn't sound right, I am trying to figure out how to write what I mean but am not finding the words.  Lets try: how do you decide to go to one area over another?

Without a sighting, we can have a hint deer are in the area but what makes the connection for you before you go out? 

How about this:  talk me through what you do when choosing an area to stalk.  What attributes do you look for?

Sorry for the rambling.  I left it that way so maybe someone can pick up on what I am trying to ask.

Thanks in advance!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Woods Walker

RE: Where to stalk/still hunt.

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:49 am

I know what you mean...I think....here goes:

1. It's IMPERATIVE that the area you want to stillhunt you know VERY well.....as much as and even more than the area's you'd stand hunt in. You have to know which area the deer go to, how they travel through it, and an intimate knowledge of the terrain and other physical features such as vegetation and thermal patterns.

2. Not all areas are condusive for stillhunting. I like an area that while having decent cover, is still open enough that I can see for at least 40 to 50 yards in. A classic example would be a hardwood forest with some, but not thick undergrowth, iterspersed with a few blowdown trees and tops, and maybe even a few open areas with some grass.

This whole game depends of YOU seeing them first. Binoculars are a must have item. Not for distance, but for using the focus to "dissect" the cover into layers.

I have hunted where I can only see 30 yards or so, in thick cover that I have to look under, so it's almost 100% on my knees, and SO slow going that it's more like stand hunting. Getting shots in this type of cover is almost impossible (with a bow).

3. As with most deer hunting, pre-season scouting is of primary importance. You cannot ever know TOO much about your area. Everything from the above mentioned terrain and travel routes, to what feed conditions exist at that time. Years or good mast make for good stillhunting areas, because deer will spend more time in the woods. Last year, for example, we had little or no mast to speak of, so in my scouting trips, I located where there were moist areas of the woods I hunt, and the deer seemed to be in there more due to some of the mushrooms and other forbes. Not as good as acorns, but at least it was something.

4. Weather:  I have mentioned in past posts that I LOVE windy days, because it concentrates the deer in  wind protected areas and robs them of some of their senses of hearing, vision, and eeven smell. I can usually go right to where I will be in deer almost immediately (intimate knowledge again). This isn't all that easy though, as a lot of times having TOO MANY deer in a area is as bad as having no deer. Under these conditions, your stillhunting skills will be tested to the max.

I hope this helps!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking