New to deer hunting at 48, hoping for a good first!

Eroc

New to deer hunting at 48, hoping for a good first!

Postby Eroc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:16 pm

I grew up fishing, hunting and camping, however I have never been deer hunting. I have always wanted to do but just never made the time. Now at 48 yrs old, I got remarried last year to a wonderful woman. Her son is an avid deer hunter and wants me to go with him. I got a used PSC Carroll Marauder for X-mas and will get it tuned and set up for me this year. I am soooo looking forward to deer season. Any help for a newbie would be appreciated. I have a good teacher but I would love to have as much knowledge as possible, before on the job training. I would love to get my first buck before turning 50.
Randy
New To Deer Hunting And Hoping For A Good First Season!

Goose

RE: New to deer hunting at 48, hoping for a good first!

Postby Goose » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Welcome, you came to the right place! We are a bunch of deer hunting junkies on here and a lot of knowledge is shared. Don't be afraid to chime in or ask questions, you'll educate us as well.
Visit the "general" forums as well!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

coach

Postby coach » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Welcome,..... like Goose said....this is the right spot.

Eroc...you put your time in.....be patient and be disciplined. You will succeed.
Aim small and grow with time.  Don't aim big and lose interest.

I'm sure the teacher you have is great.  There is some great one here too. (not me [:D])
We are not Super Teachers, but we are the craziest bunch of Whitetail Deer Hunter in North America.

I think I'm the craziest in Canada. (so far).  I'm not sure of any others.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:19 pm

I'll second that Canada one[:D]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Welcome, Eroc:
You have come to the right place. If you can't learn something here, you probably know it all already. Also, it would be a good idea to subscribe to Deer & Deer Hunting magazine.

Best wishes as you begin deer hunting, and as you bond with that new stepson.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Welcome Eroc!  You'll learn more here than you ever thought you needed to know. Great group of knowledgeable hunters.[:D]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

John1961

Postby John1961 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Welcome Eroc, this forum is like a deer camp away from deer camp. fun, full of knowledge, a few jokes and remember to bring you high neck boots cause if get deep at times Image
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:31 am

Hello Eroc, welcome to the Indiana forum.  What counties will you be hunting in?  The Galveston area has some really nice deer as do most areas around Cass County.  2008 was a record harvest year for deer in Indiana and without a killing winter this year, our deer season should be nice this year.

The best advice I can give you in a nutshell is to successfully hunt bucks, you should think like a buck.  For most of the year, all they think about is food, shelter and how to get back and forth between the two.  For these times, hunt the travel paths and you will do great.  For that magical time of the year, all they think about are does.  Go where the does are and the big boys will show up soon.

Glad you are here.  Keep us posted on how the scouting is going throughout the year.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Eroc

Postby Eroc » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:00 am

I will probably be hunting mainly Cass County, maybe Mississinewa as well. My bow is a used PSE Carroll Marauder. Not set up properly yet but am working on that. I have shot the bow and shoots pretty good for not having the right draw length yet. I can knock the top off a gateraid bottle at 25 yards with a recurve. Once my PSE is set up I hope to do the same with it. 
Randy
New To Deer Hunting And Hoping For A Good First Season!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:11 am

Welcome aboard! Great wealth of knowledge here! These guys are great and are very helpful, i have learned more than i ever hoped to when signing up, i cant get enough of it either. I am rather new to bowhunting too and i enjoy it a lot more than gun hunting, even though i am much more deadly with a gun that bow [:D] the challenge is what makes it that much more fun, good luck with your set up, I'm also shooting a PSE, i like it for the most part, good luck, keep us updated and enjoy your stay! Get ready for some great times and great people willing to help you out unconditionally!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Next

Return to Indiana