Talking turkey

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
msbadger

Talking turkey

Postby msbadger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:55 am

Well now that DeanoZ mentioned it in the other thread ....Turkey seasons will be opening fairly soon for some.....I believe we here in NY have one of the longest waits....May 1st- May 31st...We can huntjust before sunrise untill noon
 What dates/times do you all have for turkey season.......

John1961

RE: Talking turkey

Postby John1961 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:05 am

My self I haven't started turkey hunting. Not that I dont think I would enjoy it, just not my favorite food. Sorry MsB.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am

Well my Bday is May 1st and I have always wanted to get a turkey on my bday.. So my hunt starts on the 28th of April I think and goes a week. Hoping this year is my lucky year!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:50 am

Here in Mississippi, turkey season starts March 14th and ends May 3rd. The first two weeks are permit only, at least in the WMAs. I was lucky enough to draw a permit for this year. I started scouting out my areas today.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:55 am

Good luck!! I hope you nail a bird for your Bday.
I got skunk'd (figuratively) last year. The closest I got to a turkey last year was almost hitting one with my truck on the drive home.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:06 am

Glad you started the thread msbadger!  Our season (NJ) Starts April 13 and goes to May 22.  However, there is a lottery for permits and you have the option to hunt one week in that time frame or on Weekends throughout the entire preiod.  Kinda stinks but considering what it used to be its better than nothing.  I enjoy hunting turkeys because its a real challange and its nice filler between deer seasons...something to look forward to.  So I've been practicing my calls, this year I decided to try a diaphragm...its touch, but I'm slowly getting them down.  Started scouting and found one spot, but I'd like to find a few more so i have plenty of options. Next will be patterning th shotgun...and I might even try hutning with the bow...should be an interesting season...I'll also be in NY doing some turkey hunting as well in the catskills..looking forward to that!  Good luck to all this year, and especially to DeerCamp, hope you nail that gobbler on your Bday!

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Spring gobbler season is March 16th. thru April 30th. in Conecuh county Ala. Bag limit is 5.
Stump sittin since 1981

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:09 pm

like you ms b only this year im hoping to spend alot more time afield .Im gonna try real hard to fill both tags[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:11 pm

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Glad you started the thread msbadger!  Our season (NJ) Starts April 13 and goes to May 22.  However, there is a lottery for permits and you have the option to hunt one week in that time frame or on Weekends throughout the entire preiod.  Kinda stinks but considering what it used to be its better than nothing.  I enjoy hunting turkeys because its a real challange and its nice filler between deer seasons...something to look forward to.  So I've been practicing my calls, this year I decided to try a diaphragm...its touch, but I'm slowly getting them down.  Started scouting and found one spot, but I'd like to find a few more so i have plenty of options. Next will be patterning th shotgun...and I might even try hutning with the bow...should be an interesting season...I'll also be in NY doing some turkey hunting as well in the catskills..looking forward to that!  Good luck to all this year, and especially to DeerCamp, hope you nail that gobbler on your Bday!
good luck with your NY adventures.where in the cats do you go?.the ashokan reservoir is supposed to have a fair amount of birds and good rainbow trout fishing too
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:59 am

What I am hoping to see in may....

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/scan0001-3.jpg" border="0" alt="early spring flock"></a>

Next

Return to Off Topic