people still baiting

dtsarborist

RE: people still baiting

Postby dtsarborist » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:52 am

you dont have to sit on top of your bait pile to use it. scout out the area between your bait and closest and main water supply and set your stand somewhere between there, not on top of the bait. chances are your going to see a deer traveling between food and water most commonly. chances of getting caught by the dnr for baiting will be greatly reduced to because there will be nobody they can link the bait to if found.

dtsarborist

Postby dtsarborist » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 am

Admitting to baiting? At least he's honest i guess..
ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

Admitting to baiting? At least he's honest i guess...

shhh dont tell.    better to be honest than to lie

coach

Postby coach » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm not to educated on baiting....
but to me food plot would be the same.  Except it a large bait pile.

The only difference...is food plot is probably better for the health of deer.

Is that right ?
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:45 pm

shhh dont tell.    better to be honest than to lie

Well with a recent problem another user had on here about the same kinda deal, i wouldn't be too sure that's the best method of thinking, i have no respect for anyone who abuses the law, and flaunts about it. If it makes them feel like better hunters go for it i guess, but thats pretty pathetic if you NEED bait to hunt. And pathetic if you have no respect for authority you disrespect the people who put the law in place ad those of us who do abide by the law.

And coach yeah i agree they let us use food plots but not bait? Deer eat together, it doesnt matter if it's at a bait pile, and food plot or a agricultural corn or bean field, they eat together, you cant "ban" them from eating together in a corn field, and i dont think you should be able to ban baiting for that reason among other reasons, but deer eat together its what they have always done. And I think the difference is that food plots is more or less a way of farming still and it is beneficial to other types of game, and the habitat, i really don't know, but someone else might know better.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

dtsarborist

Postby dtsarborist » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 pm

its not that im educated in bating  or that i need to bait to have a good harvest or is proud of it. its just that baiting is what i am use to doing before the ban came along, which doesnt make any sense anyway. the dnr tends to think that stopping baiting is going to stop diseases from spreading. yes it will slow down the spread of any diseases but the same deer will get infected anyway because what happens when all the deer drink out of the same water or eat from the same crops in fields. it gets spread just as quickly. just my opinion on the baiting ban

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:28 pm

im not "educated" in it either, and i was used to it to, and i don't agree with the ban either, but i do know when something is made illegal, you dont do it. I just don't get why u feel the need to still do it, even tho its illegal and u know its illegal, esp since u say u dont need it to feel proud of what u killed, sorry jmo, if you dont need it why do it esp if its illegal? Makes no sense.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Deerhuntinglover22

Postby Deerhuntinglover22 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:25 am

To answer the question from coach about the difference between bait piles and food plots I think the reason the dnr banned bait piles is that the pile is in such a small area that the have tendencies to rub noses and have a lot better chance of taking in one anothers saliva and in a food plot its spread out in a vast area so they have less of a chance to touch noses and exchange bodily fluids. But thats just my opinion.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:45 am

I can see that deerhuntinglover, the chances are greater for it to spread in close quarters at a small bait pile, i can see that, im not trying to disagree or start anything with u [;)] but if you ban baiting, then it should be a no brainer to get rid of all these penned up deer and elk herds, that's what makes the least sense to me, they are in much closer proximity than just about any free ranging herd, for the MOST part, and these pens, like the one in MI are contributing to a lot more cases of cwd then free ranging herds, as u guys can tell i could go on and on and on about this.... sorry [;)]
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:42 pm

ya know I dont really like the baiting ban either, I think you should be able to if you want.. but its not the case.. Its 110% the DNR'S FAULT! This whole thing wouldnt have happend if they did their job. They could have checked that deer before it was brought in..but never did. As far as having bait in a close area.. DNR'S fault again.. they made it so it can only be in a little area.. change that rule and its the same as a food plot. the economy is terriable right now and the dnr really screwed a LOT of people. I dont care what anyone says its CRAP!

As far as for baiting... why would you do it just cuz you have been raised on it? I had been to but I changed the way I had to do things.. yes it may be only a $50 fine for you.. But the next time its 5 years you cant hunt.. and that judge cant do a thing about that one..So is it really worth it? Nope Not for me. As Fred Bear would have said... If your not helping hunting then your hurting hunting!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

coach

Postby coach » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Wow....thanks for the feedback guys.

You see in Ontario...you are aloud to bait.  Some people bait, and still don't see deer in some areas.
Deer population is not like Michigan or Illinois...ect.
We have a total of 300,000 heads here.  So I guess that's why there is no worries.

If I could be in my stand...and see 3-4 deer evertime i'm out.  Does , fawns or bucks, I wouldn't beleive
in baiting either.  Some people bait...and don't see deer anyways...cause population is alot lower in some location.  Lets say I'm neutral on the subject.

But if DNR says don't ...then you shouldn't.  Same goes for crossbows, or salts...or whatever is not aloud.
We don't want hunters getting caught and being part of our Breaking News Threads.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan