Talking turkey

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
DoeEyed

RE: Talking turkey

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 am

Our spring turkey runs April 15-May 24. I have the 4th week, May 6-10. It'll be my 1st spring turkey hunt. Good luck to all!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 am

Here in Indiana the spring turkey season is April 22nd through May 10th. I've never hunted turkey before, but I intend to give it a try this year. What the heck, you get to wear camo and hang out in the woods! What's not to like?

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:38 pm

hey msb looks like that boss gobbler got all his"ducks in a row"[:D][:D][:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Sounds like theres a few newbie turkey hunters here, good luck.  I venture to say your all going to be hooked by the end of the spring.  I plan on hunting hard this spring.  It's the first time in several years where I'll have plenty of time to hunt. Don't forget to look for morels while your out there, nothing better than deep fried turkey and morels. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 pm

YAY! I just got my card in the mail today to say I was lucky enough to draw a tag! Gobble Gobble
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:55 pm

I cant for the season to start. I got into it seriously about 4 years ago. It does suck waiting until May 1st but bullhead fighing keeps me occupied until then[:)]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:41 am

I get a super sportsman every year ...and would go and sit a bit  but not too serious...until one late May....on the way to Church we turn out of the drive way and Mr. B. says look at the turkey...there..  across the street in my garden were 4 huge birds...The kids said what are they doing? It looked like they were pacing back and forth...until I saw they were throwing their heads back...[>:] and realized they were walking up and down the rows of cuke and squash plants that I'd put in and pulling them out![:@]...To add insult to injury...while at church they made dusting bowls at the end of each row theyed "cleaned". I went to the local Agway and ordered a half dozen bronze turkey pults that very week....I raised a couple of toms and the rest hens and learned how to call with my voice by mimicking them....been hunting ever since....heres a few picks of birds I've accidentally called in while practicing in the computer room....I've gotten many more pics of turkey than turkey during hunting and fenced in the garden.....

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0029.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0035.jpg" border="0" alt="backyard tom"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0037.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 am

Our season in PA opens the last Saturday of April, the 25th (ending May 25), with youth day on April 18. Very much looking forward to this. I've hunted turkeys in NY a little, but now that PA has a second tag I'll stay home. Hoping to take my young cousin out on April 18.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:14 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Glad you started the thread msbadger!  Our season (NJ) Starts April 13 and goes to May 22.  However, there is a lottery for permits and you have the option to hunt one week in that time frame or on Weekends throughout the entire preiod.  Kinda stinks but considering what it used to be its better than nothing.  I enjoy hunting turkeys because its a real challange and its nice filler between deer seasons...something to look forward to.  So I've been practicing my calls, this year I decided to try a diaphragm...its touch, but I'm slowly getting them down.  Started scouting and found one spot, but I'd like to find a few more so i have plenty of options. Next will be patterning th shotgun...and I might even try hutning with the bow...should be an interesting season...I'll also be in NY doing some turkey hunting as well in the catskills..looking forward to that!  Good luck to all this year, and especially to DeerCamp, hope you nail that gobbler on your Bday!
good luck with your NY adventures.where in the cats do you go?.the ashokan reservoir is supposed to have a fair amount of birds and good rainbow trout fishing too

Hey Joel,

My buddy has some acreage on the south side Rt. 30 right across from the Pepacton Resivoir, he's had there for years.  Great deer hunting and turkey hunting..he's not far from the beaverkill which has some really good trout fishing too.  Actually got my Turkey Tag when I bought my deer tag...figured might as well since I know I'm going to be turkey hunting there in May as well.

Just got notification that I pulled a permit for the Jersey Lottery so I'm good there too!  I'm relatively new to turkey hunting as well so this is goign to eb an interesting season!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:58 am

im familiar with the area you should do fine.Im actually supposed to fish the pepacton this june with some people from another site[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic