SD cards for scouting camera's

vipertech

SD cards for scouting camera's

Postby vipertech » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:33 am

This is more of an FYI

I bought a Bushnell Trophy Cam and it arrived earlier this week.  Yesterday I bought the SD cards for the cam.  I bought Dane-electric brand cards from the local Target.  Turns out that the Bushnell will NOT write any pictures to these cards. I tried to format the card a couple of times to no avail.  BTW, it also would only format 1875 or so MB.   I took out the PNY brand SD-card out of my video camera and it worked just fine.  This card formatted to 1975 or so MB.  I just read some of the forum over at chasing game and they have a sticky for this cam discussing some compatible cards.  One guy says that he could not get the PNY cards to work in his cam but a few others said they could.  The concensus of the thread was to get the Sandisk brand of cards. 

I guess the point here is:  If you get a scouting cam, do a little searching around before you buy an SD card for your cam

Rocky Landsverk

RE: SD cards for scouting camera's

Postby Rocky Landsverk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:24 am

we've had good luck with Dane-Elec in our Moultrie's, actually all SD cards have worked, except when we accidentally bought those SDHC cards, which don't work in them, has to be a "regular" SD card.
Rocky Landsverk
Online Product Manager
DeerandDeerHunting.com

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:04 am

I found this out while doing research on the Trophy cam. I bought two 2 gig Scandisk and they seem to work. I went on ebay and they had some really cheap and it shipped fast. I would recommend ordering them there. I think it was $14.99 for 2 and free shipping.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:41 am

I just got back from lunch.  I took my Dane-Elec cards back to Target.  I bought two Sandisk cards from Staples.  The cards were on sale for $12.99 each. 

Oh, and I got some kung pau chicken, fried rice and hot & sour soup from China Chef.  Yummy!!  [:D]

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:03 pm

I saw Terry Drury talking about how he has specific SD cards for each camera and they always stay with the same camera and I thought how anal can you get. Well now that I have 6 SD cards to swap out I've found he has a point. For me it hasn't been the brand so much as the fact that once I use it in one camera it doesn't work so well in another. The most recent card I bought was a Dane 2GB and it worked fine in the first Wildview I put it in but would not work in the next Wildview that has had nothing but Danes in it since I bought it. I have a PNY that only works in my Moultrie. I almost chucked the cameras because I thought they were junk, luckily I figured out it was just the cards.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:37 pm

I also know what you mean. I have an older moultrie that only likes 512?mb kodak cards but if you doodle with it then it will eventually take a 1 gig scandisk. Both my moultrie d40's use either a 1 gig scandisk or 1 gig lenux (cant remember the exact name and I am to lazy to go look). My bushnell trophy cam uses 2 gig scandisk. I have also found by having the different cards for different cameras it makes it easier to know what card has been switched out if you go to check all your cams. One time I had pulled a 1 gig scandisk out of one of my d40's with the new card in hand only to drop them and get confused on which card I pulled and which was the new one[8|][:@]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Return to Scouting Cameras