New to deer hunting at 48, hoping for a good first!

coach

RE: New to deer hunting at 48, hoping for a good first!

Postby coach » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:16 pm

I'll second that Canada one

HEh HEh HEh......Now...........That's not right.

I think I may try a little spring Goose Hunting.  [:D][:D]
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 am

ORIGINAL: Eroc

I will probably be hunting mainly Cass County, maybe Mississinewa as well. My bow is a used PSE Carroll Marauder. Not set up properly yet but am working on that. I have shot the bow and shoots pretty good for not having the right draw length yet. I can knock the top off a gateraid bottle at 25 yards with a recurve. Once my PSE is set up I hope to do the same with it. 

Welcom Eroc,

Small world. I live in Carroll and hunt White and Tippecanoe counties. I was looking at maybe hunting Mississinewa this season if it makes on the state park reduction list.
Use a PSE Brute and muzzleloader.

Good Luck. It is addicting! 
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:08 am

Welcome Eroc, I'm new to this forum as well and have found that the people here are great.  You can learn a lot and get in some great debates!!  I've been hunting (rifle) for 18 years but this will be my first bow season and these guys have offered tons of support regarding bow set up and hunting tips. 

Good luck and let the addiction commence -- it has for me.  I shot over 100 arrows on Saturday alone. (then wondered why I was sore on Sunday.....)

Mike
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Eroc

Postby Eroc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:47 pm

You all make me feel very welcome, thank you.
Randy
New To Deer Hunting And Hoping For A Good First Season!

Eroc

Postby Eroc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:51 pm

By the way my younger brother lives in Moores Hill down Cinci and he's invited me to hunt with him. Realy looking forward to that. Anyone hunted that area?
Randy
New To Deer Hunting And Hoping For A Good First Season!

Hoosierbuck

Postby Hoosierbuck » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:43 am

Eroc-
I also statrted deer hunting later in life (I was in my 20's) so I can empathize with you.  I was self-taught, and found my learning curve to be quite flat for a couple years, then it took off like a rocket.  I read everything I could get my hands on, and spent as much time as possible in the woods.  A few keys that held true for me:
1)  After I really got to know the property I began to see lots of deer.  Part of that is that the property is a great one.  No matter how good you are or how much you know if there are no deer on the land, you will have no luck.  I got to know the property by hunting hard for a couple of seasons.  I was not smart enough to know where the deer would go and when, I let the deer show me that. 
2)  There really is no substitute for spending every moment you can in the woods.  You will always learn something out there, even if only that you were not sitting in a good spot. 
3)  Aerial photgraphs are very helpful with understanding the lay of the land and why you see deer where you do.

Just a few things to help a brother out.

HB

poebuckslayer

Postby poebuckslayer » Wed May 20, 2009 4:39 am

Thats great a new blood brother has joined the most wonderful thing you will ever take part in, you will be hooked for life and wish started earlier. I think everyone should have a huntin season and if your not will they should
Chad poe

John1961

Postby John1961 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:12 am

Eroc. My family and I live in Allen and came at Mississinewa Res. Camp ground. I have never hunted there but the fishing can be as good as it gets.   
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Previous

Return to Indiana