Moultrie I40 Lock Box

fasteddie

Moultrie I40 Lock Box

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:08 am

I had a trail cam stolen once because I didn't have it locked up . I have lock brackets on other cameras and have had no problems . I bought a Moultrie I40 trail cam but never used it because I never had anything to keep it relativly safe . I don't want to put a $200 camera out where someone could easily swipe it .
several years ago when ammo cans were $4 - $5 , I bought a few , installed hasps and used them to lock up my ammo .
I converted one of these for a Moultrie Lock Box ( don't think much of any I saw in stores ) . I cut a hole for the face of the camera to do it's thing . Found a thick piece of solid styrafoam for a filler . Installed a couple of eye-bolts for mounting and then added a Waddell Top Plate at the base of the back of the camera for adjustment . Now I have to field test it .

Semper Fi !

buckhunter21

RE: Moultrie I40 Lock Box

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:56 am

Luckily I've never had my camera swiped (knock on wood)....But this looks like it could do the trick.  Let us know how it works!
QDM!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:31 am

Eddie they look great and beats paying $50 for the off the shelf boxes.  Do you hunt public land and have you ever placed these lockboxed ones in public land?

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:45 am

I just finished the Lock Box and have not made one previously . I have never set a Trail Cam up on Public Land . The only camera I ever had stolen was on private property . It was a WildView battery eater so maybe it was a blessing . The Lock Boxes I saw at Gander MT were made of much thinner metal . Unless i can lock the camera up , I won't put it out .
Semper Fi !

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:49 am

Gotcha...no I don't put mine out either unless their locked up...but I've always hunted private land and did not have an issue...now I'm hunting public and wonder even if it was locked up would it still disappear?

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:59 am

I try to put the cameras on large enough trees where someone would need a chainsaw to remove it . A person could always come back with a hacksaw or bolt cutters . I trust no one anymore . The lock brackets and boxes are just a deterrant ..........not foolproof .
The I40 has a cover that folds down ( covers the settings , etc ) and can be locked but ......... the side could be opened and the SD card could be removed . Not so with the ammo box .
Semper Fi !

Return to Scouting Cameras