Does anybody hunt geese?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
vipertech

Does anybody hunt geese?

Postby vipertech » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:38 am

They've opened a new snow geese season here in NY.  I've never hunted geese before but have been meaning to for a few seasons now. Just never got around to doing it.  A couple of us are going to go out this weekend and try our luck.

I bought some of those Texas rag decoys.  According to some of the things I read, snow geese like to see lots of decoys.  The rags are a cheap set of 100 that a lot of people seem to use.  A friend of mine who is also going to go has a bunch of these as well.

I scouted over the past weekend on the family farm.  I saw two large flocks of about 1000 birds or so off in the distance within 20 minutes of each other.  Neither flew directly over head but they were close enough that I believe they would see any spreads we set out. 

Any other tips/tricks you can share?

Robert Rowland

RE: Does anybody hunt geese?

Postby Robert Rowland » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:04 pm

I grew up hunting geese. We lived near Sumner Missouri (Swan Lake Wildlife Refuge) Which was then considered the "Goose Capital of the World".  Not sure if they still hold the title, it's not like it used to be. Anyway I did lots of goose hunting. We had blinds made of limbs and weeds, pit blinds, and sometimes just layed down in a patch of weeds in the middle of a field.  The best advise I can give you is to be good with a call, don't let them see you move, and don't shoot too soon. When they come in, pick an individual to shoot at, not just at a crowd. If you get them in close enough, take head shots. It's best to avoid shot in the breast meat (the only good part in my opinon). Geese can be as tough as a turkey so I always used #2BB, but it's been 28 years and I know the rules have changed on what shot can be used.

Good luck!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:06 pm

I've been hunting geese since i was about 6yrs old with my ol' man.

Geese are way smarter than one would think so take that into account.

Oh and geese are moving way faster than they appear to be so lead them twice as far as you think you should.

GOOD LUCK!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:33 pm

What he said!! ^^^^
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:41 am

Cool.  Thanks.  I'm excited about going this weekend.  Should be a lot of fun. 

I have a nice layout blind I bought 2 years ago and I purchased a bunch of 3inch BB last year.  Finally get to put this stuff to use.  This past weekend I bought a choke tube rated for steel and heavy shot.  I think I'm all set.  Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of experience with the goose calls.  I got a couple of nice ones from WingLock but I haven't quite mastered them.  There are some good tutorials on you tube I've been watching.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:42 am

til you ge the calling thing figured out i believe its best to be quiet. And yes you can call TO much!

Have fun!!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Return to Off Topic