5 Ways to Beat a Variable Wind

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
wack

RE: 5 Ways to Beat a Variable Wind

Postby wack » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:27 pm

1. Get high
2. Live on the edge.
3. Go deep.
4. Stay a step ahead.
5. Don't be afraid to move.

Sounds like something I read out of High Times Magazine. Think it was titled "5 Ways to beat the Fuzz".  DoeEyed, you might not want to know what's in the snuff bottles. lol It's supposed to be scentless talc powder.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

wack

Postby wack » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:31 am

Or maybe it wast Hustler Magazine, "5 ways to beat the morning blues" ? [:D] It's amazing what you can learn from searching your kids bedrooms. [:-]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:22 am

i use cornstartch and baking soda in my bottles
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

wack

Postby wack » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:11 pm

I've also heard people using chalk line chalk, but.....

I think it's a lot more fun blowing bubbles! Steal the kids magic bubble wand, maybe mix up a little doe urine and dish soap "Special bubble mix", get high in your tree stand and watch where the bubbles go.[:)] I bet you could blow bubbles with a grunt tube! Doe urine gruntin' bubbles. If you could some how add beer into the equation, it should sell like hot cakes in Wisconsin. We're going to need something to entertain ourselves while in the tree stand this season, there aren't going to be many deer to watch.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:24 pm

get high in your tree stand

Hmmm....I think we may be seeing a trend developing here! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

wack

Postby wack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 am

I recommend 15 - 20 feet high for optimum doe urine bubble grunting. Any higher than that and shot angles for bow hunting get pretty steep. and by the way, hunting is my high.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:46 am

You're dead on about the severe shot angles, wack. I don't think many archers realize the significant decrease they have in their potential target area when the shot angles get steep, not to mention the that POINT OF ENTRANCE changes also.

That's one of the problems with some 3-D shoots. If they have an animal target set up at a quartering away angle, and you shoot as you would if you were actually hunting by aiming for that last rib, you'd wind up with a wound score as opposed to a kill.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:51 am

ORIGINAL: wack

I've also heard people using chalk line chalk, but.....

I think it's a lot more fun blowing bubbles! Steal the kids magic bubble wand, maybe mix up a little doe urine and dish soap "Special bubble mix", get high in your tree stand and watch where the bubbles go.[:)] I bet you could blow bubbles with a grunt tube! Doe urine gruntin' bubbles. If you could some how add beer into the equation, it should sell like hot cakes in Wisconsin. We're going to need something to entertain ourselves while in the tree stand this season, there aren't going to be many deer to watch.
are you sure your just "reading" high times[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

wack

Postby wack » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:02 am

are you sure your just "reading" high times

Do you know what your kids are reading? The only High Times Magazine I've seen over the past 10-15 years was confiscated from a 14 year old at a slumber party that one of my kids attended. After reading it, it was used to line the bottom of our bird cages.
 As a kid I will say as A kid I was not innocent or nieve, and as an adult parent, I thought I knew about everything when it came to the troubles teenagers face today. In hind sight, now that the kids are grown up, I find that I knew very little. With computers, text messages, new drugs, they've made up a whole new language, a new system, and if you're raising kids today you should know the definitions of schwage, dub, 420, and be really concerned over GHB, (date rape drug) Xtacy, crack, crystal meth, and a whole slew of perscription and designer drugs..we moved to a small town to raise the kids in a drug free environment and found out there is no such thing. If you want to find drugs in this town, go to the high school, the kids have all the drugs. But how do you really get to know your kids?
 First, spend time with them and teach them how to really get high. Take them hunting, lead them to music, sports, nature, science, get involved and make it fun. Make a joke about High Times magaize and next thing you know, the conversation is started. You don't have to be drunk or stoned to have fun or be wild and crazy. Look at uncle Ted. You think my idea of doe urine grunting bubbles is stupid? Give it a try with a 12 year old kid sometime and see how much fun you both have and what you can learn from it. You want to know where your scent is going? Watch where the bubbles go. The doe urine mix was to be funny and makes just enough sense that someone might just give it a try. If you got a young person in the blind with you that can't sit still, make the best of it and have fun. Send him out with a grunt bubble maker, a set of rattling antlers and tell him or her to act like 2 monster deer fighting. If you don't fall out of your seat laughing, it just might work. If it doesn't, who cares, you've made a special memory for a lifetime.
 You've got a whole slew of hunters here talking about the same old boring ways to beat the wind, with the same old boring answers that hunters have been repeating for hundreds of years now, if you're looking for boring generic answers, just skip over my replies.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:31 am

i guess i cant make a joke like everyone else.dont worry i wont bother ya no more

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices