Choosing a Rifle

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
kribbz

RE: Choosing a Rifle

Postby kribbz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Alright guys, today I purchased a Savage 116 weather warrior with a Nikon  3x9 scope.  Now my next question is what type of ammo to use?  I have a pig hunt coming up and other than that it should be deer for the forseable future.  any suggestions? btw. Can you tell I'm new to the whole rifle concept?

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:06 am

today I purchased a Savage 116 weather warrior with a Nikon  3x9 scope

Cool.  What caliber did you buy?

Now my next question is what type of ammo to use?

You are going to have to shoot various brands to determine which one your gun prefers.  That's just how it goes.  I like to use a shooters rest like the Lead Sled to take all human influence out of the shot.  Then, try various brands of ammo and see which brand groups the best.  After that, I try to stick with at least the top 3 brands. 

Also, read your owners manual to determine what their recommended break-in procedure is.  Usually this involves shooting 5 rounds at a time then cleaning the barrel between these 5 shots until you've shot about 20 to 50 rounds.  Once you've broken in your new rifle, you can then proceed to dial in your scope and find the best ammo for the gun.

I have a pig hunt coming up and other than that it should be deer for the forseable future.  any suggestions? btw. Can you tell I'm new to the whole rifle concept?

To be honest, I've never hunting pig so I really don't know which type of bullet is best for them.  I do know they are tough little buggers.  However, I would imagine that any of the bullets designed for deer would be fine.  I'm sure someone else here has a better recommendation.   As for deer, bullets that weigh anywhere from 100 grains up to 200 grains and more have been successfully used on deer and are generally accepted.  Most people opt for a middle of the road weight for optimal bullet speed and performance.  Therefore, the bullets that weigh 130 to 150 grains tend to be preferred when hunting deer.  Now the type of bullet varies tremendously and has been cause for all sorts of interesting discussion on forums like this one.  You have partitions, bonded, hollow point, failsafe, ballistic tip, and a host of others.  Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages.  Rather than spell them all out here, I will strongly suggest that you research them yourself.  I personally like and use the Federal Accubond's in my 7mm-08 for deer.  For one, my gun shoots them well and second, I like the all around performance of this bullet design.

Finally, since you asked for suggestions:  If you have not done so already....JOIN THE NRA!!!  Second....join a local gun club to gain use of their range.  And lastly.....practice shooting you're gun A LOT before you hunt with it.  You own it to the game you hunt to be the best shot you can be to avoid wounding the animal. 

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:17 am

Thanks for the info Vipertech.  I guess I forgot to mention the caliber.  I went with the 30-06 as many of you mentioned and all the research I did for myself mentioned the versatility of the cartridges.  I get to pick the gun up on Thursday and planned on breaking it in this weekend at our local range. I am already a member there, just new to rifles.  Been shooting trap and skeet for years.  So I guess the just of what you were saying is that the cartridge really depends on my gun.  I had been doing a bit of reading on the types of cartirdges online but everyone seems to have a varying opinion.  Like you said I want a clean kill and a good bloodtrail when I shoot an animal.  I'm used to shooting 1 oz slugs and I guess I have never really had a concern with finding blood.  These bullets just seem so small to me.  I guess size doesn't always matter ;)

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 am

Thanks for the info Vipertech.  I guess I forgot to mention the caliber.  I went with the 30-06 as many of you mentioned and all the research I did for myself mentioned the versatility of the cartridges.

Cool!  Absolutely cannot go wrong with that caliber. 

I get to pick the gun up on Thursday and planned on breaking it in this weekend at our local range. I am already a member there, just new to rifles.  Been shooting trap and skeet for years.

I shot some skeet the other day and was matched up with an older guy who apparently never shot skeet.  He got a new over/under shotgun that he hadn't shot yet.  On two of the targets, he seemed to punch the trigger way too hard or something and wound up shooting both barrels!  It rocked him pretty good both times!

So I guess the just of what you were saying is that the cartridge really depends on my gun.  I had been doing a bit of reading on the types of cartirdges online but everyone seems to have a varying opinion.

To a certain extent.....definitely.   As an example, my shotgun would not pattern well at all certain brand of slugs.  It did great with the Winchester X 1oz slugs though.  Each hole was touching at 50 yards. My 7mm-08 rifle did not like a lighter bullet from Remington but it loved the Federal 140gr Accubond rounds.  It did great with some Ballistic Silvertips too.  Either bullet works fine for me.  I'd hunt with either one.  I chose the accubonds though to just remain consistent and I like the bullet design. 

Like you said I want a clean kill and a good bloodtrail when I shoot an animal.  I'm used to shooting 1 oz slugs and I guess I have never really had a concern with finding blood.  These bullets just seem so small to me.  I guess size doesn't always matter ;)

Comments on this particular issue will vary tremendously.....as you've probably already seen!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:38 am

ORIGINAL: kribbz

I have taken over a different territory with work and I am now traveling to Texas and Missouri frequently.  Customers have already offered to bring me out deer hunting with them on their land.  They told me I would just need to bring my own rifle. 

I want a job that has people inviting me to hunt. What do you do if you don't mind me asking?
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:56 am

sales manager for an electrical/mechanical support manufacturer.  Basically, I sell bent metal. 

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:37 am

Cool, where do I sign up?  Do you need an assistant during deer season![:D]

I am a network enigneer and do consulting work for small/med. businesses in Indiana and Eastren Illinois. I've been invited once to do some elk hunting in Colorado. Need to save my pennies for that one. They are planning a trip in 2010 so hope I can swing it.

Sounds like you got a great rifle.

Good luck.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:22 am

ORIGINAL: kribbz

can you guys help out a shotgun hunter from Illinois?  I have taken over a different territory with work and I am now traveling to Texas and Missouri frequently.  Customers have already offered to bring me out deer hunting with them on their land.  They told me I would just need to bring my own rifle.  I was thinking either a 7mm or a 270.  I would like to plan for the future as I hope to someday hunt some bear and elk so I don't know if the 270 is large enough for that.  What are your thoughts?  I've been looking at the Remington 700 or a Savage in the stainless and synthetic finish.  help me out here guys!

I had a 30-06 for years as my only deer rifle. I mostly hunted Ohio, which is shotgun only, and I was primarily a bow hunter.  The 30-06 ended up doing all sorts of things: groundhog to boar.  I am a firm believer that the '06 is the best general purpose round there is.

7mm and 270 WIN are also good choices, but the range of available loads and the ubiquity of the ammo (even a lot of convenience stores carry it)  tips the scales towards the '06. 

Best deer round?  I'd say the 300 Savage.
Want to go after bigger stuff?  Try a 35 Whelen.
Small Stuff?  Take your pick. 223 REM is hard to beat.

I'm starting to lose count of my rifles, but my favorite goto caliber is still '06 and an '06 is my back-up rifle no matter what.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:30 am

shaman is right, kribbz, you've made a good choice in the .30-06. Without a doubt, I'd choose that over the .270 and the 7mm magnum -- especially for a rifle you'll be traveling with. If you ever have trouble finding ammo for the .30-06, you'd have trouble finding any ammo at all. And the Savage weather-warrior with the Nikon scope should serve you well. Does it have the accu-trigger? Sweet.

Good luck.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm not a rifle hunter per say since we're in shotgun only, but know a little about them.  I'd have to agree with these guys about the '06.  I'm a fan of the .270 for it's flat shooting ability and the 7mm for it's power, but think overall, stay with the '06.  Don't get me wrong, all three are great deer guns and will do the job!
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo