Rem 870 12 gauge problem

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Gr8ToutDoors

Rem 870 12 gauge problem

Postby Gr8ToutDoors » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Just got a used Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 gauge from Gander a couple weeks ago just to shoot around.  Had the chance a couple times to shoot around with it.  The problem comes when I have the shell in the barrel and then 1 or more in the tube.  It won't shoot at all then, maybe the first shot but not to often.  I can pull the trigger down a little bit but it won't get to that certain point to release the hammer. That's what it feels like.  I just recently cleaned the gun completely, except for taking the trigger apart, and it was dirty from the previous user.  I am wondering if that is the main reason why this is happening, but I haven't had the chance to get back out to shoot . . . . been too cold.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thanks. 

Everyday Hunter

RE: Rem 870 12 gauge problem

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:19 am

I'd take it back to Gander Mountain. They usually have a gunsmith on the premises. Even if that store doesn't, they should fix it. Present it to them as a safety problem.

If you don't get satisfaction, report that store to corporate. You might also get help from Remington, since Gander is an authorized dealer. Your final resort is a gunsmith of your own choosing. Send the bill to Gander corporate with an explanation. Good luck.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Gr8ToutDoors

Postby Gr8ToutDoors » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 am

Thanks for the help, I'm planning on going to Gander tomorrow.

Gr8ToutDoors

Postby Gr8ToutDoors » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Well . . . finally got up to 40 degrees and had a chance to take it out to shoot it a little bit.  Worked great.  Every time I shot multiple shells it did not become jammed.  Shows what a good cleaning and lubrication can do for a gun.  My only question is Gander said that they cleaned it and everything, but it wasn't clean.  What does Gander do for cleaning their guns?

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Gr8tOutDoors,
This does make one wonder. As a rule, I clean every gun I bring home before I shoot it. New or used.

Return to Guns and Ammo