buck fever

JOEL

RE: Buck Fever

Postby JOEL » Tue May 06, 2008 9:12 am

i practice my bow and gun skills year round .i still get excited but no fever
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:54 am

Yes it has happend to me, didn't take my time and rushed the shot, but i will hopefully learn from my mistakes and hopefully get him this year.

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Tue May 06, 2008 3:54 pm

If you don't get a little rush--Buck fever I guess? It is time to quit! 100 plus times and it still gets me!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed May 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Oh yeah, i get it everytime i go out and see a deer. the best is the 1st day of season when you see that first deer, even if its a little spike it will get me as if where a 10pt

rod953

Postby rod953 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:04 am

No matter how hard i try i always get a rush, whether its harvesting the first doe of the year or the buck of my dreams. Makes me enjoy being in the woods with family and freinds,sharing stories and the excitement of the hunt 

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon May 12, 2008 10:10 am

I get a little excited, but I try to concentrate on the actual shot.  After the shot is when I seem to get all nervous and shakey.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:42 pm

I get it (mostly after the shot).  One thing I like to do to help combat the shakes during the shot is to practice "the shot" by drawing or aiming my weapon on yearlings and passerbys.  This seems to help when a taker comes along.  Good luck all.

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri May 16, 2008 3:09 pm

yes! back in the old days, (around 1992) I had a buck fever incident that kept me from killing a deer.
I was in my stand watching a nice doe come in, closer and closer it got, when it was around 20 FEET from my tree she stopped, I drew my bow and started shaking,.. nerves, fast heartrate the whole bit, I let the arrow fly anyway and missed altogether. The deer startled, took one leap, landing around 10 feet from where it was and started looking all around to find out what the disturbance was, well I drew another arrow attempted to calm down a bit, it didn't work, and another arrow flew again. This time it seemed to knick the deers rump, luckily not doing any real harm to her. I missed my second shot. She ran around 5o yards stopped, looked at me and continued off.
Since then I still get my heart pounding when a deer comes by.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon May 19, 2008 11:19 am

Never true fever.

But what is funny is that is that when I am out opening day, I'll see does or fawns and maybe a spike, maybe even get a quick glimpse of a decent deer (buck or doe) and never get the adrenalin rush.

But boy, when the shot is about to go down, it's amazing how the ol heart rate ramps up.... double [8D]

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Sat May 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Yes, last year was the worst
I have ever had it!! it was Oct 1st beginning bow and I was in a tent making some grunt and rattle noises when from my left I heard this really funny grunt wezz noise as I turned to see what the hell that noise was I saw 2 180 class 10 pointers and a smaller 8 point just behind them.. all were about 75 yards away... I was thinking to myself wheres my 30-06, oh wrong season!!
My heart started to pump just by seeing them, then there was some more movement on my far left I thought it was a bug, but even bigger another 180 class 12 pointer now my heart was really pumping...

I am sitting here in this tent thinking how am I going to get these guys closer to me to make this shot, so as they started to walk towards the other direction I grunted one more time when one 10 pointer and the 12 pointer started to walk towards me, I wish I had a camera...

My now heart beat was kicking so darn fast I could NOT PULL my bow back!!!
Now I know what you are thinking, I should have practiced this shot as I was sitting down!!
Well I did over and over again, especialy with my new bow... I was within 1 inch groups at 40 yards...

So here I am shaking and pounding as I got these 2 fine animals within 35 yards and I could not pull my bow back!!!
Now thats buck fever!!!
And a bad night for me as well!!!

Next

Return to Michigan